How to avoid DPC latency in a new build DAW PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to avoid DPC latency in a new build DAW PC

Hi,

I'm about to build a DAW dedicated PC and I have some worries about latency. Now I have build PC's before but those were workstations and game PC's thus absolute silence and DPC latency weren't that much of an issue.

Now I know what DPC latency is, I know how to find the culprit and I know how to fix it if it can be fixed but I also know that sometimes certain hardware just doesn't get along and then you're stuck.

As my new build will be with the new Haswell/Z87/1150 socket there's yet little resources to find about compatible configurations as dedicated DAW builders are still on the Ivy series. I picked my components carefully so I know they're quiet and compatible but I don't want to get into a situation where my mobo will be the culprit or something.

So my question is if there is any way of knowing upfront if certain components in my new build are gonna give me DPC latency?
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't think there is a way of knowing upfront whether a particular combination of components is going to result in high DPC latency, other than that some people may have discovered clashes purely by (bad) luck. As community experience builds up a folklore of combinations to avoid may develop, but other than asking around on various forums for people's input about bad experiences they have had, I don't think there's much you can do, although somebody else may know better.

Perhaps you could start a Wiki or database dealing with the issue, it might take some time to get significant feedback though.

There's a resource here:- MeasuringAudioLatency - The Official Wine Wiki ...if you haven't seen it already.
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link but that's predominantly about troublesolving -which I can handle. Btw. Latencymon is even better than PDC Latencychecker (for future reference).

Good idea about the Wiki. As fas as I know there's no central database for DPC issues. As you say most comes from experience and is scattered around the web and even a retailer usually doesn't even know what latency is so that's no help either.

I figure I can wait for another month or two when the first BIOS and firmware updates will arrive so maybe that'll shine some fresh light on my build.

Still I find it hard to digest it remains a matter of trial and error in this era.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:55 PM   #4
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Many years ago I use to work with a firm doing industrial control using OS9 based systems, oh how I wish PC's were like that. Now every hardware increase in power and speed seems to be swamped by operating system overheads. I don't think there is any onus on Microsoft or the third party drivers to solve this problem as Windows and PC's are not real time, so we have to guess and suffer.
I second a Wikki database.

Hide this!Advertise here!