RaspyFi/Volumio - Turn raspberry Pi into Audiophile audio Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mikelangeloz,

Congrats on some excellent design work and programming in RaspyFi 1.0 from the team.

I don't have a Rpi, so I extracted the relevant stuff from the iso to test the WEBUI on my PC running a debian desktop. To be honest, I know little about nginx, php5 etc. but after a little detective work and some trail and error I have a working WEBUI and can at least test the generic functions of browse, playback and playlist on my working MPD install.

I'd recently tried the MPD clients client174 and rompr, both had their problems and from a visual and functional viewpoint I much prefer the clarity of the raspyfi WEBUI. The only mobile device I have in the home is a kindle 4 non-touch which has an “experimental browser”. The WEBUI works surprisingly well on kindle 4 non-touch with its limited browser. The only obvious issue, apart from speed, is all that controls symbols appear as question marks in little boxes, although when pressed they do function (a font issue?).

At last there is a decent MPD web client buried in the raspyfi distro that can start to rival things like Mpad and MPDroid.

I'm looking forward to the tsunamp ports to other platforms and wonder if you'd consider creating either a generic 32/64bit tsunmap iso install targeted at a PC, or self-contained package for the WEBGUI alone to run on a Linux PC/laptop where MPD is already installed, a bit like the method used for rompr package. For the later, I think you'd basically only need everything that exist under /var/ww/ and a set of nginx config files.

I really hope this is the start of great things for your project.

mikelangeloz,

Congrats on some excellent design work and programming in RaspyFi 1.0 from the team.

I don't have a Rpi, so I extracted the relevant stuff from the iso to test the WEBUI on my PC running a debian desktop. To be honest, I know little about nginx, php5 etc. but after a little detective work and some trail and error I have a working WEBUI and can at least test the generic functions of browse, playback and playlist on my working MPD install.

I'd recently tried the MPD clients client174 and rompr, both had their problems and from a visual and functional viewpoint I much prefer the clarity of the raspyfi WEBUI. The only mobile device I have in the home is a kindle 4 non-touch which has an “experimental browser”. The WEBUI works surprisingly well on kindle 4 non-touch with its limited browser. The only obvious issue, apart from speed, is all that controls symbols appear as question marks in little boxes, although when pressed they do function (a font issue?).

At last there is a decent MPD web client buried in the raspyfi distro that can start to rival things like Mpad and MPDroid.

I'm looking forward to the tsunamp ports to other platforms and wonder if you'd consider creating either a generic 32/64bit tsunmap iso install targeted at a PC, or self-contained package for the WEBGUI alone to run on a Linux PC/laptop where MPD is already installed, a bit like the method used for rompr package. For the later, I think you'd basically only need everything that exist under /var/ww/ and a set of nginx config files.

I really hope this is the start of great things for your project.

For some reasons my later message didn't appear. First thanks for the congrats. Makes me proud... And porting it to x86 would be a great idea, maybe in the future (now we're focusing on ARM as much as we can) . We'll publish the sources of the WEBUI as well, but it's very complicated to set up on a differents system, because it relies on custom workers that handles OS processes like automount, so you should replicate basically RaspyFi's OS...

As for the question marks, these are font sets, you should enable them, in order to see them. Or the kindle cannot handle them natively. Btw, never meant it to work on this... But happy it does indeed

multi room support

Hi mikelangeloz,
I followed your thread with high interest. I'm actually planning our new house which shall provide decent audio playback capabilities for all rooms. The solution shall consist of a central NAS and players with ceiling speakers per room. The system shall be remote controlled by Android devices. As far as I understood your solution is perfectly supporting my project - so far. There's just one problem - I'de like to have the ability to playback all players in sync in a kind of partymode - meaning, the same music shall be played within all rooms (in sync). Do you have a solution or any plans to introduce such a feature in the future.

Installed the RaspiFi.img yesterday and registered here to give my feedback and tweak suggestions. (RaspyFi Registration Form only gives me Access denied).
So here i am.

My main purpose for acquiring a RPi was to run a headless audio server in my kitchen, therefore i was quite excited when i stumbled across this project.
Unfortunately my Raspberry has the Hynix RAM, and it took me quiet some time to find out i had to exchange the .elf files.
A second image for newer Raspberry models would be nice.

Well, got (almost) everything up running now.
My setup consist of RPi and ADAM Artist3 attached to the USB.
SQ is real nice and better and more stable then with unpatched images.

I like the concept of everything works right of the box, but then i could not stop myself from some tweaking.

First i created a new user. This is not necessary and i am just mentioning this, because should anybody else do this and then wonders why alsa finds no devices, well one should not forget to add that user to the relevant groups in /etc/groups :rolleyes:

Next i created a .asoundrc with
pcm.!default "hw:1,0"
So that when i decide later to switch the sound output to hdmi, i will only have a single location to change.

- Spotify
First thing i missed was access to my spotify account.
I installed mopidy, but the webGUI did not play along.
Now i have mpd running under port 6600 and mopidy on 6601.
I really do like the simplicity of the RaspiFy Interface and would love to see this integrated.
For now i am using woutervanwijk/Mopidy-Webclient and ncmpcpp in a tmux split screen for both ports (running on different machine).

- Random Play
Next thing i missed was random play.
I installed albumbler.
I tweaked the the script to accept arguments for host and port and have it run on my macbook. With this tweak i can also access the other mpd server running in different rooms.

OTOH i think it would be very easy to add a button in the webGUI to run a local albumbler with mocp.

So what is missing?
- Open Issues
-- Playlist
For some reason my playlists don't work with the webGUI, although they do work with other mpd-clients i tried(ncmpcpp, mingus, theremin, rompr ...).
Also my playlist directory is on the same level as my mp3 and flac directories and gets listed as browsable in the gui. Other clients hide it.
Funny thing is, using the search in the webGUI, i can access and play titles in the playlists.
Ultimately i would want to save a song into the playlist and save a queue as playlist. I want to be able to mix spotify titles and local files in a playlist.

-- Sounddevice
I do not like pulseaudio one bit and am glad its not part of RaspiFy. Please keep it that way.
The remaining issue with the alsa hardware now is the various applications competing for direct access.
So far i see two different approaches to address this.

1. Write a daemon, that periodically checks the applications log files for device busy messages. Then stop or kill the blocking application.

2. Use jackd. But that might open a whole other can of worms.

-- Hardware Play Button
Probably my next project. Using the RPi GPIO i would like to add pushbutton to change the playing album(albumbler). While i am at it i might add buttons for next and previous song as well.

Thats all for now, i guess.
Great project.

Microsoft

Guys, this code is open source and yet, I need a "poxy" Windows program to extract the .img file to usb! Now I got to Google the Linux version:usd:

Instructions should be for all OSes, I mean, what about Mac's?
I wouldn't know where to begin!

If the code was for Windows with a cost, you could understand! So come on, put up the info, and don't make us trawl the forums or Google for the answer!:D

Looking at the source code https://sourceforge.net/p/win32diskimager/code/ci/master/tree/src/disk.cpp IMO that utility only copies the img contents (sectors) to the selected device, nothing more.

Code:
file RaspyFi1.0.img 
RaspyFi1.0.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0xb, active, starthead 32, startsector 2048, 153600 sectors; partition 3: ID=0x83, starthead 175, startsector 155648, 3256320 sectors, code offset 0xb8
The image holds a complete disk with two partitions.

Code:
parted RaspyFi1.0.img unit B p
Model:  (file)
Disk /home/pavel/tmp/RaspyFi1.0.img: 1887436800B
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start      End          Size         Type     File system  Flags
 1      1048576B   79691775B    78643200B    primary  fat32        boot
 3      79691776B  1746927615B  1667235840B  primary  ext3

losetup -o 1048576 /dev/loop0 RaspyFi1.0.img
losetup -o 79691776 /dev/loop1 RaspyFi1.0.img
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/part1/
ls -l  /mnt/part1/
total 19166
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   17804 May 16 21:49 bootcode.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     413 Sep  7 13:53 cmdline.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root      24 Aug  6 13:57 config.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    5900 May 16 21:49 fixup.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    2264 May 16 21:49 fixup_cd.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    8826 May 16 21:49 fixup_x.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2950344 May 16 21:49 kernel.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9704912 May 16 21:49 kernel_emergency.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2697972 May 16 21:49 start.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  570264 May 16 21:49 start_cd.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3661668 May 16 21:49 start_x.elf

mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/part3/
ls -l /mnt/part3/
total 1880
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Jul 13 22:23 bin
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 May 16 23:04 boot
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    4096 May 16 21:14 dev
drwxrwxrwx 93 root root    4096 Sep  7 18:12 etc
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    4096 Aug  6 17:15 home
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root    4096 Jul 29 23:49 lib
drwx------  2 root root    4096 Sep  7 15:01 lost+found
drwxrwxrwx  4 root root    4096 Jul 30 03:39 mnt
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    4096 May 16 23:01 opt
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1840742 Sep  7 18:13 php_errors.log
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Dec 26  2012 proc
drwx------  9 root root    4096 Sep  6 14:53 root
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    4096 Jan  1  1970 run
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Jul 25 03:02 sbin
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Jun 20  2012 selinux
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 May 16 21:05 srv
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Feb 26  2013 sys
drwxrwxrwt  2 root root    4096 Sep  7 18:12 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root    4096 May 16 22:44 usr
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root    4096 Sep  7 14:04 var

Looks fine to me. Did you dd the image to the raw device (sdb) or to its partition (sdb1) instead? My 2cents this is the cause.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.