Recording through pc: mic use and signal Q's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there. Hope i'm vaguely in the right place.
I cannot return results I need through forum or google search, terms too generic I think.

I have next to zero production/recording experience, period. But I'm a keen learner and proficient with most aspects of computers.

Q1) I need to record music (singing scream-rock registers, scat bass and steel string guitar) through my laptop-microphone (standard 'hole' microphone next to inbuilt webcam embedded in 5yr old laptop, quality is obviously crap, but sufficient ;). If it makes it any more pertinent, it's to record the songs burning in my heart to try and win my Love back, be kind. Guitar comes through fine, I'd like my voice and doo-bop-wah scatting to be clearer ... so should I be recording close to the microphone and trying to clean up noise in audio program or should I be further away/recording on a quiet microphone setting and amplifying it digitally in audio program such as Audition or Cubase. Noob yes, but would appreciate some help, friendos.

Q2) I have a semi-nice microphone Behringer XM8500, about $50USD worth. It works well through an amp (with it's single stereo connection), sound seems to carry well, but when I put a stereo-to-3.5mm (earbud connection) adaptor on the end and put it into both my laptop and my desktop computer's mic slot, the audio is muted to the extent that it's unsalvageable in noise. I've tried many adaptors (expensive-looking gold ones even) with no luck. Does the signal get lost in the 3m line and the connection-adaptor or do 'better' microphones need a quality, dedicated sound-card / digital amplification box to carry the signal to my pc-software?

Many thanks, I can google most things, but these answers elude me. :eek:

A microphone located further away from the source will pick up a lot of room ambiance. When I tried recording my own speech, I got the best results using a lapel mic. It could be worth trying a cheap "computer mic" that plugs into the mic jack on the computer. There's usually some of those at thrift stores, if you don't have one.

A more ideal setup would be to use a small mixer, like a Behringer Xenyx, which has preamps for "real" microphones, and line level outputs (or built-in USB sound devices). If the line input on the laptop isn't very good, get a USB audio adapter with line level inputs. Behringer UCA-202, or ADS Tech "Instant Music" - both are based on a respectable USB codec, though the ADS Tech appears to be a slightly better implementation judging by the RMAA loopback tests. The "Instant Music" has Toslink S/PDIF I/O as well as line level.

Thank you so much Canadian dangus - massive help.

Will look into a pre-amp/mixer, maybe with midi slots as well, would be very useful. I figured there would be usb audio cards for laptops - thanks for the recommendations. I'll be trying to balance a humble/portable setup with quality, mainly for guitar ... but your mention of recording speech reminded me how I wanted to do an audiobook version of the book i'm trying to publish.

Should I assume that a decent lapel mic (in the ~$50 range) would be preferable to a pre-amped 'real' mic of a similar price for recording clear speech?
I find holding a microphone to be a real jarring factor in speaking fluently, I've rigged pseudo-mic-stands and it's not much better. A lapel mic, good headset mic or a quality Omni-direction mic-column would I think, be easier to record to.
Any recommendations/opinions is quality well out of my price range in these more mobile recording options?
Thanks again, it's wonderful having some place to ask these audio questions, drives me nuts trying to search out these types of answers. <3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.