PC noise through internal sound card - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2013, 01:34 PM   #21
Kev06 is offline Kev06  England
diyAudio Member

I'd certainly settle for noise at 1' too!!!

Currently if the amp's volume is cranked up reasonably high (though not excessively) I can hear this noise from my listening chair, during quieter periods in tracks. I'll be happy if I remedy it from normal distances :-)

Cheers
Kev
Old 1st June 2013, 06:21 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

As mentioned, you probably have a ground loop going on there.

Your PC is already grounded through the power supply. If you connect its output to anything that has ANY kind of ground connection if its own, you will get a ground loop.

Typical sources for additional ground connections include: Radio and TV antenna, cable or satellite cables, other Class I (safety earthed) devices.

If you don't know where to start, connect one Class II (double insulated, 2-pole mains cable) amplifier and speakers ONLY. That should be quiet. Then start adding devices.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:32 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Though there is nothing with a ground or any aerials connected to the PC, the PC's power lead is the only thing grounded; I've checked my amp and discovered it is double insulated too so no earth there either.

Following your suggestion I have tried disconnecting everything except the phono leads anyway though, just to see if anything was accidentally acting as an aerial, but its just the same. I'm now pretty certain this has to be something like blitter noise, as qusp suggested.

Thanks
Kev
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:35 PM   #24
oszkar is offline oszkar  Romania
diyAudio Member

For me it was noise from the HDD seekking sequences but after changing everithing inside except HDD, DVD, Video Card, PSU and amplifier too the HDD noise wasn't there anymore! I cannot pinpoint anyother thing at this moment. It could still be your dilateted psu Jack plug hole, conection cable, and if you have anything like a TV amplified through your amplifier! That has made the thig for me once upponatime, even my PC was shutting down because of that!
Old 4th June 2013, 04:18 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thats mysterious, this PC noise sounds like a really complex thing! I hope I don't end up swapping everything out like that.

I think I'll just try changing to an optical out to start with; that should get over any possible effects of ground loops or electromagnetics on the external wiring, and also more subtle things that would affect the analogue stage of the card but (hopefully) not its digital outputs. I'm hoping to borrow a DAC soon to find out... at least it will be a simple thing to try.

Cheers
Kev
Old 4th June 2013, 07:02 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

look judt pinpoint out your tv!
Old 4th June 2013, 07:06 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I was having some noise issues with my PC. I bought a M-Audio Transit that has optical out and the mini-jack for stereo out. No noise now.

Thanks
PeterC.
Old 4th June 2013, 09:28 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

like c'mon mate 50 pounds would make it out if or without making out with your equipment! I mean only if you are switching out from your sata 2 equip! you can con contact me through Kerulooszka@live@live.com same as skype
Old 19th June 2013, 06:34 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Smile PC noise through internal sound card - solved

Well I got chance today to try an external DAC (a cambridge audio dacmagic plus). Connected it up with an optical digital cable from the S/PDIF out on my asus xonar essence stx card and cranked the amp up....so far so good.... started doing things on the PC.... nothing; no PC noises! Theres a slight hiss from the amp itself when the volume is near max but that's it :-)

I tried it on a 5m long optical cable too; exactly the same. So it looks like another benefit will be in having longer runs on the digital signal part of my setup, and so keeping analogue and high power speaker cabling short.

One unrelated thing is that I left my old RCA lead connected so I can switch the amp between the dacmagic and the Asus card's analogue outputs. I'll have to do some careful listening but first impressions are that (in my system and having equalised the volume) I'd struggle to say which was being used aside from the PC noises. I believe the dacmagic plus goes for around 350 new, so it shows the DAC in the xonar card is pretty good if you don't get the interference I had.

Thanks for all the help in solving this!

Cheers
kev

Last edited by Kev06; 19th June 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 27th June 2013, 06:42 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Another update for anyone finding this thread: I got the chance to try a digital coaxial cable tonight - for me at least it works equally well as the optical one in avoiding the PC noises.

So as theres still a ground connection to the same place, in my case it seems a little less likely to have been ground loop issues to/with the power amp; combined with the amp having no ground connection either I'd be inclined to suspect something else.

It doesn't mean that there weren't electromagnetic effects on the cable, since although this one is also electrical it is (a) digital so better at rejecting subtle interference and (b) a different cable so may have better shielding. It probably doesn't dismiss electrical or electromagnetic interference affecting the sound card either, since by staying digital until later down the chain I've still bypassed the card's analogue output stage, which would have been more affected by such things in and around the PC.

Cheers
kev

Hide this!Advertise here!