Tweaking a cheap Tenor TE7022 USB converter board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2013, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tweaking a cheap Tenor TE7022 USB converter board

Attached are pictures of my USB converter board. I am using the I2S output as you can see from the soldered wires. Since the pictures I have connected the 5V regulator directly to 14V on the CD player PCB that I am using for its DAC and output stages. I have also removed the 12.000MHz clock and now run the clock on a separate low noise clock board. Both modifications resulted in significant improvements.

What else can I do to this board?

I was thinking that with the clock on a different board, I don't need 5V on the USB board anymore. Can I bypass the 5V regulator and hook the 14V directly to the 3.3V surface mount regulator that powers the TE7022?

Is there a quality 3.3V surface mount regulator that can be recommended as an upgrade to the original one?

Any other suggestions for improvement?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1332.jpg (251.3 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1334.jpg (246.1 KB, 444 views)
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello

Where did you buy the Tenor TE7022 USB converter board ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Those wires with no ground reference will not do the signals any good!
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetan8888 View Post
Hello

Where did you buy the Tenor TE7022 USB converter board ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan
I got it off ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200723844485?...84.m1439.l2649
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Those wires with no ground reference will not do the signals any good!
From the pictures you'll notice that there is a ground next to SCLK and I have connected it to the PCB of the DAC and output stage.
Old 22nd April 2013, 05:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not close enough, twisted pairs would be better, keeping the signals return path in intimate proximity. Those connectors and pin outs don't help, sig-gnd-sig-gnd-sig-gnd would be much better allowing for either twisted pair for each signal or small co-ax cables.
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not close enough, twisted pairs would be better, keeping the signals return path in intimate proximity. Those connectors and pin outs don't help, sig-gnd-sig-gnd-sig-gnd would be much better allowing for either twisted pair for each signal or small co-ax cables.
Oh, I see. But then why not use coax or twisted pairs with this board and connect all the grounds to GND?
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It creates a discontinuity for the return signal. The following, while related to PCBs stands for the signal going down a cable, hence all high speed digital interfaces are LVDS these days.
http://www.x2y.com/filters/TechDay09...%20_JohnWu.pdf
The pigtail acts like a slot in the ground plane.
A more humorous look at some of the problems by one of the real experts in these sorts of problems, his web site is worth a look, lots on Audio grounding problems, for the signal integrity side of things Dr Howard Johnson is a good source.
The 10 Best Ways to Maximize Emission from Your Product
Signal Consulting, Inc. - Dr. Howard Johnson
Old 23rd April 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It creates a discontinuity for the return signal. The following, while related to PCBs stands for the signal going down a cable, hence all high speed digital interfaces are LVDS these days.
http://www.x2y.com/filters/TechDay09...%20_JohnWu.pdf
The pigtail acts like a slot in the ground plane.
A more humorous look at some of the problems by one of the real experts in these sorts of problems, his web site is worth a look, lots on Audio grounding problems, for the signal integrity side of things Dr Howard Johnson is a good source.
The 10 Best Ways to Maximize Emission from Your Product
Signal Consulting, Inc. - Dr. Howard Johnson

All very interesting and informative. However, I was asking for advice on tweaking this board that is already made and that I am already using. If I understand correctly, you are not happy with using either coax or twisted pairs whose grounds are connected together to the corresponding PCB ground at each end. Do you then have any other practical solution for the signal grounding issue that you have identified?
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

No coax or twisted pairs are the best way to distribute the signals from one board to another. It is always better though if the ground for each signal is next to the signal. The grounds have to be connected at each end, what I am saying is that it is not optimal to have the ground pigtailed to a ground point some way from the positive element of the signal. All digital signals are best thought of as a differential pair consisting of the signal and its return path, both should be equal and in very close proximity to avoid any impedance mismatches.

Hide this!Advertise here!