PC remotely triggering power amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 04:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default PC remotely triggering power amp

So here is what I have been trying to do.

I want to build a HTPC as a single source-&-amplifier (all-in-one). So I want to integrate an amplifier into the PC. I have a 12V DC amp for this purpose. There are also amplifiers made to be put inside of PCs. However... everything that I have read suggests that I will pickup too much noise using the computer PSU (molex) to power the amp--that would not be acceptable.

I am not worried about the computer being noisy, in all likelihood the computer will be an open bench build and the amp doesn't have to be very close. But I do not want the sound to be compromised in any way. Is this possible? Bear in mind I want no par of soldering anything.

As a backup plan, I am wondering about just having a stand alone amplifier and somehow having the PC remotely trigger the powering on/off of the amplifier. IR is not an option. Any ideas? Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 05:55 AM   #2
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pilsen
I am using a master/slave power extension lead for switching all PC peripherals. Inexpensive and reliable.

Also you could feed a power relay with 5/12V power supply voltage from the PC. Many options available
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 06:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
picowallspeaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
If you are going to use an IC based amp, many include a S/by function.
This requires the main power to be continuosly 'on'.
Many units adopt a watchdog tension always available . It's the one that the computer uses for the watch...it's a 3V battery.
So if you are going to make a working computer you'll know about logics and TTL...
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 06:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I am using a master/slave power extension lead for switching all PC peripherals. Inexpensive and reliable.

Also you could feed a power relay with 5/12V power supply voltage from the PC. Many options available
Thanks, I appreciate the help. Nearly all of that went over my head. You'll have to explain as you would to a baby. Better yet, slap up a link to what you are referencing.

Just to help clarify, I am choosing between using 3 amplifiers: (2) Pragmatic MBA-124, MUSE PC21, and Elekit TU-H80. All run on 12V DC and + if I am not mistaken.

I simply want to use the computer's PSU to also supply power for the amplifier.Or at a minimum, have the PC trigger power for the amplifier without IR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 06:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
If you are going to use an IC based amp, many include a S/by function.
This requires the main power to be continuosly 'on'.
Many units adopt a watchdog tension always available . It's the one that the computer uses for the watch...it's a 3V battery.
So if you are going to make a working computer you'll know about logics and TTL...
I have the Elekit TU-H80 right now. Not sure if it has the aforementioned ability, but it mentions that the (no signal) draw is minimal--so perhaps? The Muse PC21 mentions sleep and mute inputs... so maybe yes? And I have no idea about the Pragmatic MBA-124.

Given the low consumption rates of these amps, it's no big deal to leave them on 24/7. Though I would be happier if I could find some way to trigger them on/off with the PC. Some way that doesn't require logics and TTL, hopefully.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 11:08 AM   #6
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pilsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpatrick33 View Post
Though I would be happier if I could find some way to trigger them on/off with the PC. Some way that doesn't require logics and TTL, hopefully.
I already answered in my previous post

Examples:

Amazon.com: ZuniDigital ZG7000B-15 7 Outlet Digital Smart Green Surge Protector (Black): Electronics

Customizable Standard 4 Pin Extention Cable - FrozenCPU.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Yes, the power strip might work for 110V. Though I would prefer to run some sort of 12V system, along the lines of a car pc (battery powered). So the power strip would only work if I go 110V--which isn't a given.

You mention the extension cable. I assume this is a suggestion to power the amplifier through the computer PSU. Which is highly desirable. But won't this send noise down the power line to the amplifier? Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 08:32 AM   #8
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pilsen
If you want to have a universal solution, just operate a relay with 5/12V from your PC. The relay can switch either 110V or any other voltage for your amp.

I used to power amp with 12V from the PC and experienced noise (keyboard typing, mouse moving, graphics rendering letters in terminal). However I did not have any filter in the amp. IMO a simple filter would have cured the problem.

If you want to use a car battery, no need to power from the PC.

It is all up to you how you setup your rig. Many options and all of them simple to implement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 08:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
If you want to have a universal solution, just operate a relay with 5/12V from your PC. The relay can switch either 110V or any other voltage for your amp.

I used to power amp with 12V from the PC and experienced noise (keyboard typing, mouse moving, graphics rendering letters in terminal). However I did not have any filter in the amp. IMO a simple filter would have cured the problem.

If you want to use a car battery, no need to power from the PC.

It is all up to you how you setup your rig. Many options and all of them simple to implement.
Cool thanks. That is the solution I am looking for. Figuring out which relay will fit my needs might be a chore, but I'm going the right direction. Thanks
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use +12V PC molex connector to power headphone amp? 1c4ru5 Headphone Systems 17 15th September 2013 05:29 AM
Triggering pro audio sub amp on/off for HT m R g S r Subwoofers 14 31st October 2012 07:49 PM
amp that allows for remotely located line level controls? thasp Solid State 0 27th December 2010 04:08 AM
Read "volume" level and display remotely tlparker Parts 3 5th November 2006 08:24 AM
How to use a computer (PC) power supply for Class T amp? entropy0 Class D 20 18th May 2006 06:15 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:48 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2