Linux audio is the way go, No its not - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2013, 11:16 PM   #61
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOP View Post
the best audio setup with Linux and installing it properly is not so easy unfortunately ...
I do not see any major complications. Just get a player you like, configure it to output to plain alsa using plughw:soundcard_dedicated_to_listening, keep the rest unchanged (i.e. all system sounds directed to built-in soundcard through whatever, will not be listened to anyway), and enjoy bit-perfect music.

Of course if someone cluelessly follows the endless recommendations of "linux audiophiles" who never ever subject their "great tweaks" to a blind listening test, that user will be permanently and voluntarily stuck in mountains of useless problems. BTW, just like with any other OS.

Last edited by phofman; 18th March 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:38 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I do not see any major complications. Just get a player you like, configure it to output to plain alsa using plughw:soundcard_dedicated_to_listening, keep the rest unchanged (i.e. all system sounds directed to built-in soundcard through whatever, will not be listened to anyway), and enjoy bit-perfect music.

Of course if someone cluelessly follows the endless recommendations of "linux audiophiles" who never ever subject their "great tweaks" to a blind listening test, that user will be permanently and voluntarily stuck in mountains of useless problems. BTW, just like with any other OS.
LOL.

So true.
Old 19th March 2013, 08:39 AM   #63
gk7 is online now gk7
diyAudio Member

This is not a bug but a wish (" Importance NOR wishlist with 33 votes) how and when a window should get
focus when dragging something from or to it. It´s _not_ about
"drag and drop not working". I doubt that the idea how the focus should
be handled they propose is a good one BTW.
What’s wrong with raising the window that you drag from?
Old 19th March 2013, 08:47 AM   #64
gk7 is online now gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
The unfortunate truth is that Linux guys keep it that way, because they like it that way...
Yes, and we (who actually use Linux) like it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
We just want you to commit to getting it changed. Verstehen Sie?
So you think Linux should change to please people who don´t use it,
and annoy those who do ?
Old 19th March 2013, 10:45 AM   #65
JLOP is offline JLOP  France
diyAudio Member

Default MPDPUP : simplistic and excellent Linux Audio

Hi GK7, topic is not Linux in general, nor Windows nor OSX or xxx but Linux Audio.

This distro : Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3 includes both a very bare OS plus mpd server with a very good installation and setup wizard.

Excellent sounding, works headless from a CF on any old x86 PC, it is free, so you can give it a try easily on any config, and has excellent support from the author Idolse. I use mPad/mPod on my iPad/iPhone as a remote.

So no reason not to give it a try and compare it to your current system.
I personnally found it has much better resolution on a retired Asus eeePC than Mediamonkey or Foobar (run on my Windows HP Probook Laptop)

BR
Jean-Louis

Last edited by JLOP; 19th March 2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add remote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:56 PM   #66
gk7 is online now gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOP;3417451... but [B
Linux Audio.[/B]
Did you miss the "No its not" in the thread title ?
Old 19th March 2013, 02:41 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
Did you miss the "No its not" in the thread title ?
For sure not, but I take it as being a little provoking in order to get answers to the question stated just after "I would like to know why Linux audio is the way go."

Let's not loose our time of topic and try to get an answer / comparison points, I am pretty sure you have some experience to report
Old 19th March 2013, 03:58 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...with a very good installation and setup wizard.
I admire and thank Idolse for the great work. Nevertheless the setup wizard is still long way from fool-proof. I tried to install it, tried to deviate from the default values and got stuck in course of the wizard.

It is extremely difficult and takes huge amount of work to create a 100% reliable simple setup wizard for unspecific hardware combination and user requirements. Debian has been working on it for two decades, ubuntu has put tremendous amount of work into its installation wizard, yet they are not 100% reliable.

That is why I do not believe much in a simple audio distribution for new users. Creating the fool-proof installation wizard for general hardware is just huge work.

I find it is much more convenient for all parties if people who want to use linux audio they learn about linux first. And if they do not want to learn, let them stay with OS they already know. Linux will hardly provide them with better SQ on the same HW. A fair deal, IMO.
Old 19th March 2013, 04:46 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Agreed, but if it handles already 90% of users, it's already a good start. It's of course much better to get some basic skills, same as for any OS though. The handicap with Linux is that they are so many differences and distros that a newbie easily gets lost. That is why I was insisting on pedagogy few posts above. Even going to Windows 8 is not always so immediate it seems, neither using some functions within itunes.

I lost much more time trying to configure and understand Foobar with Windows or to configure my file Share on my XP Server than the 2 or 3 evenings I spent before getting my mpdpup working (;-). Fortunately, I am much a better expert with SAP to pay my bills (;-).
Old 19th March 2013, 04:50 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is why I was insisting on pedagogy few posts above.
Talking about linux audio is very different to talking about how to install a linux distribution. On the other hand, there are tons of tutorials available for both

Hide this!Advertise here!