Use VST plugins on all windows 7 audio output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2013, 02:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Use VST plugins on all windows 7 audio output

I've been looking around to find a way to use vst plugins in windows audio output and tried some things but everything just confuses me since the threads all assume that one has some knowledge on this subject. Do you guys know any tutorials with steps on setting up vst's in windows audio? I got the vsthost software with my eq but it doesn't do anything and I can't find any tutorials. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
ge0 is offline ge0
diyAudio Member

In my experience The tricky part is routing audio stream to your host program. It needs a physical input. Then, routing stream to physical soundcard outputs. Look into a software called virtual wire.

HThe rest is All in host configuration. You should be able to contact manufacture of EQ for help since they packaged SW with it. You can snag free VST files from numerous sources for evaluation.

Ge0
Old 29th April 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

VSTs are not intended to run in the native Windows environment. They require a host, which may or may not integrate with the native windows audio environment (I think generally not). You can get free VST hosts, or more tidily, you will find VST support within some windows-based audio players (Foobar, cPlay, JRiver (iirc)).

Think of a VST as a processing link between a source file and the output of the application hosting the VST.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 29th April 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Virtual Audio Cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dan.
Old 30th April 2013, 02:59 PM   #5
ge0 is offline ge0
diyAudio Member

I made a mistake in my earlier post. I recommended looking up "virtual wire". What I meant to say was "Virtual Audio Cable". It's a slick SW utility that will help you route signals to software without physical connections.

G
Old 4th May 2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Billyo is offline Billyo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Its a long and frustrating path getting vst plug ins to work with PC based audio - and I never succeeded in getting it stable or user friendly.

If you need a PEQ, then just use Equalizer Pro

Equalizer APO | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

I wish this was around 18 months ago... would have saved my many hours of frustration.

Its even FREE!

Hide this!Advertise here!