squeezelite or mpdPup - which one? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2013, 06:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudyptes View Post
It sounds like you're making good progress. Is squeezelite connecting to your LMS OK, and is your async USB DAC recognised?

In Lubuntu to can create a desktop shortcut by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing "Create Shortcut". Give the shortcut a name, and on the next panel it's the "command" entry which is important. Enter squeezelite plus any parameters you are using. Double-click on your shortcut icon to start squeezelite.
Yes now getting along fine - and thanks for the desktop shortcut tip!

No problem with the DAC - it recognises without the need for drivers - this Italian Goldenote DAC-7 (now re-branded as Gold Note I believe, what are they up to, ah well at least their engineering is good) really shines - I know I have hit upon a winner here - especially as you can upgrade this DAC further with a dedicated power supply from the same company! As I said earlier - I tried various DACs - and for my ears this was clearly more incisive and engaging in every sense (not much to look at though). Anyway - we are not talking DACs here - I am slightly off subject - I guess I was just pleased with my choice - now I want to feed it the best transport.

Computer geekiness is fun (sadly enough) but at the price the Marantz NA7004 is selling for right now - I am considering this as the better more dedicated digital transport for my DAC.

Thus my three contenders now are Windows 8 > SL > JPlay, Lubuntu > SL, Marantz NA7004 (when I get hold of one to try)...
Old 18th March 2013, 07:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I ended up trying the Marantz NA7004 as a digital transport, and as a transport it sounded excellent... but as a player - not having gapless playback was very annoying - more annoying than I first thought (the pauses between tracks are so long). Obviously there is no option to connect the Marantz via USB into my USB DAC, but I thought I would give the SPDIF feed the best quality transport I could and it worked in terms of sound quality, but again, I stress that not having gapless was no fun - so I took the Marantz back. I now see that the Pioneer N50 has recently updated their hardware to support gapless - but perhaps I should get on with making the most of my netbook in order to make the most of USB connectivity.

I think having high quality power supplies from the digital source help SQ considerably - but you would have thought running a netbook from battery would be better. However an audiophile power supply company (not naming names) said that running a netbook from battery is even worse! Because the power management intelligence from the OS causes more jitter than the main power connection! So my question to you is - can you completely disable power management in Linux?

Hide this!Advertise here!