New NAS-PC Setup - Thoughts, comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

After a major move overseas I have decided to try and do away with CDs altogether so as to avoid the major headache and shipping costs that come with packing and shipping a large CD collection.

To this end I am looking into getting a Synology DS112 NAS (DS112 Products - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience) and a 1TB WD10EFRX Red HDD (WD Red) to go in it. I plan to rip my CDs in FLAC and MP3 format to the NAS and use my PC to play the music from (the MP3 format copies will be for use on my iPod). From what I have read on various forums I am considering getting dbPowerAmp for the ripping task and I currently use Banshee in Ubuntu to play the music (I'm going to bring my work laptop, which has Windows 7 on and is much faster than my home PC to do the ripping with so I can use dbPowerAmp).

Currently I only have a very ordinary set of Logitec speakers hooked directly into the PC's headphone jack to listen to the tunes on so I am looking at this setup as a reasonable trade off between a budget starting setup and something that also gives me scope to easily upgrade the various parts in the system as money and want dictates.

I would definitely like to hear what people who have gone through this process before and/or people who have far greater knowledge on this subject than me think of this plan/setup and any comments or suggestions you might have.

Also I require a little clarification on one point (and apologies if this is a really stupid question): if I am ripping using dbPowerAmp and playing using Banshee, what do I use the media software on the NAS for?

Many thanks,
Shaun

if I am ripping using dbPowerAmp and playing using Banshee, what do I use the media software on the NAS for?

The NAS will only serve the ripped files over network, using CIFS (windows file sharing) or NFS (unix file sharing) protocols. The media software on Synology will not be used at all.

If you have linux in your setup, you might want to consider using the great mp3fs virtual filesystem http://www.blisshq.com/music-librar.../05/17/easy-flac-to-mp3-mirroring-with-mp3fs/ for transparent on-demand generation of mp3s and keep your library in flac only. That will simplify house-keeping of your library.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.