diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Chaintech AV710 card, is it worth it? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/228370-chaintech-av710-card-worth.html)

gychang 22nd January 2013 01:57 AM

Chaintech AV710 card, is it worth it?

2 Attachment(s)
Just realized I have this PCI card in the garage, it has Wofson DAC built in and several years back lot of talk about how good it was for the price. I have 3GHz P4 PC and wondering if I should try this running linux or whether a $50 Dac (HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter) will be better for playing flac files.

gychang

SlainNothing 22nd January 2013 02:06 AM

pci is superior to usb.

Which sounds better? Try it out.

linuxfan 27th January 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gychang (Post 3336697)
it has Wofson DAC built in and several years back lot of talk about how good it was for the price.

Yes, I remember the hype about that sound card. Back in 2007 I bought one for $30, and I built a dedicated music computer consisting of a mini-ATX board running Puppy Linux. The kernel was modified for realtime preemption, brutefir was used as playback application, and set for process priority.
ALSA was configured for bit-perfect playback, with main stereo output redirected to the rear channels (black connector) which utilised the Wolfson DAC.
This is optimal configuration ... but in a side-by-side comparison with some high end CD players, my AV710 sound output was extremely ordinary - nothing special at all.
Then we connected the AV710's Toslink output to an external DAC (respectable unit, maybe Beresford?) and this sounded significantly better than the AV710's analogue outputs.

Clearly, the AV710 is only "good" by consumer computer monitor standards of several years ago. Compared to decent hifi gear, it's a major disappointment, frankly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlainNothing (Post 3336706)
pci is superior to usb.

Possibly in theory, but not necessarily in practice.
If nothing else, USB DAC's get their audio circuitry away from the noisy electronic environment of the computer, itself.
And as I understand it, USB DAC's also reprocess and reclock the data. If implemented well, this can achieve great results.

I'm aiming for a high end Amanero/ES9018 combination, myself, but at the value end of the scale the HiFimeDIY unit has had positive reports.

gychang, there's a very similar unit which deserves mention - Objective DAC (ODAC)
board only -
www.yoyodyneconsulting.ca/pages/ODAC.html
fully boxed -
www.headnhifi.com/odac-rca

If you really want to go PCI, audiophiles seem to recommend the ESI Juli@ - approx $200.
Or for PCI-e interfaces, there's now the Juli@ XTE, or possibly ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

gychang 27th January 2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxfan (Post 3344159)
ALSA was configured for bit-perfect playback, with main stereo output redirected to the rear channels (black connector) which utilised the Wolfson DAC.
This is optimal configuration ... but in a side-by-side comparison with some high end CD players, my AV710 sound output was extremely ordinary - nothing special at all.

I'm aiming for a high end Amanero/ES9018 combination, myself, but at the value end of the scale the HiFimeDIY unit has had positive reports.

all your comments are very helpful, thanks