USB cable quality - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2013, 07:44 PM   #381
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I bet their RJ45 (between the computer and the bank) is made of the same stuff
If I used silver cable would my bank balance improve?
Old 22nd September 2013, 07:46 PM   #382
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Maybe... but just one question...why the industry (I'm not referring to the audiohile one) bother in testing cables with BER testers...
Signal integrity is a critical issue- dropouts and glitches can cause major problems in industrial application. Audio applications as well- which is why people who actually know about this stuff have said over and over and over and over and over that the symptoms are NOT audio degradation (which would require that the wires somehow magically recalculate numerical values and reconvert them to properly formatted signals), but rather dropouts, pops, and loss of signal.

If you have any of that, change the cable. If you don't, your cable is as good as it can get for this application, comic book audio websites notwithstanding.
Old 22nd September 2013, 08:31 PM   #383
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
As a customer, your bank balance will go down. As a manufacturer, with a clever marketing campaign, it will increase substantially
Old 22nd September 2013, 08:47 PM   #384
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
said over and over and over and over and over that the symptoms are NOT audio degradation (which would require that the wires somehow magically recalculate numerical values and reconvert them to properly formatted signals)
Exactly SY. If, for example, a specific cable would improve, say transient response, what is it this cable needs to do?

It needs to search for specific data bytes in the stream until it finds a data packet of several bytes that encodes for a transient signal, and replace the numerical values in these bytes with values that give a higher level for the spectral components that determine the transient response. All of this on the fly without missing a beat, so to say.

Some cable, huh?

jan

BTW I need more popcorn...
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:08 PM   #385
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Am I the only 'engineer' on here who doesn't eat popcorn? Just as well. Imagine what my BMI would be if I had to eat popcorn until a coherent plausible explanation emerged from the true believers.
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:37 PM   #386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Adds at least one digit, but now if it was gold plated....
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:47 PM   #387
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Am I the only 'engineer' on here who doesn't eat popcorn? Just as well. Imagine what my BMI would be if I had to eat popcorn until a coherent plausible explanation emerged from the true believers.
You nailed it on the head. The uninformed masses do not recognize plausible from mythical or is it mystical?
Old 15th December 2013, 05:58 PM   #388
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

I just read through this thread last night and preface this posting with the fact that I consider myself "a cable skeptic" and strongly believe in a scientific approach to audio engineering.

I also have little respect for those who attempt to profit from the ignorant and "unwilling to learn" audiophool brigade.

With that out of the way, I have little regard for the flat earth audio society who dismiss other people's findings out of hand and and take a closed minded approach to audio engineering.

A sound inquiring mind ( no pun intended) would attempt to replicate the cable described here and attempt to verify or refute the protagonist's claims with good science. What I see instead is a number of destructive posts with no attempt to suck it and see.

It is often said that the ear is the "finest instrument" and I clearly remember the days when the flat earth brigade claimed that all amplifiers with similar measurements sounded the same. Some even claimed that record players using the same arm and cartridge would also sound the same. I often wonder if those folks ever attempted to verify their claims without bias.

Lets accept that some folks here have stumbled upon a yet unexplained phenoma that results in a perceived improvement in sound and build from this observation with solid science.

Last edited by Jaimo; 15th December 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 15th December 2013, 06:19 PM   #389
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimo View Post
A sound inquiring mind ( no pun intended) would attempt to replicate the cable described here and attempt to verify or refute the protagonist's claims with good science.
Good science does not have to be an experimental approach under all circumstances. The fact that a digital transmission line without timing information does *not* change the signal if it is bit-perfect does not need experimental verification. Applying well-known and understood laws of physics is enough in this case.

Imagine someone writing poems on a typewriter. Then he puts the sheets in an appropriately sized cardboard box and sends them to someone else. Would you really pay attention to someone who argues that the poems sound more impressive on being read out loudly when they have been sent in a cardboard box of different construction? As long as the sheets arrive undamaged and readable in both cases?

Rundmaus
Old 15th December 2013, 07:32 PM   #390
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimo View Post
Lets accept that some folks here have stumbled upon a yet unexplained phenoma that results in a perceived improvement in sound and build from this observation with solid science.
There is absolutely no reason to draw such conclusion without objective (i.e. blind) listening tests first. No such have been presented, never before, not in this case either. Once these are on the table, we can start talking about solid science. Until then it is just about excited feelings, nothing to pay serious attention to.

Hide this!Advertise here!