Using tablet as a signal processor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I am trying to build an audio amplifier and i wanted to add some sound effects to my microphone and guitar input and i though of using a tablet. As the input is all mono (both from the microphone and from the guitar) it would be a pretty simple job of connecting the microphone through a buffer to the microphone input of the tablet's jack. Another input for the tablet could be the internal microphone, hardwired.

What i actually want is to have an app which can add some kind of effects to the sound, like echo, reverb, tremolo etc. in real time. Something like taking the output from the microphone, feeding it into the tablet, adding some kind of effect and than feeding it to the amplifier through the tablet's headphone output, all of this real time, no delays (or small at least).

Is it possible? If yes, how?

I don't know if there is any polished app for android that would get the job done. These types of thing are still mostly in beta stages on that platform.

Your best bet would probably be to get an iPod touch and an AmpliTube iRig device. It's very low latency as it's meant for live musical instrument playback. I believe the app has most of, if not all of, the effects you mentioned.

I though of that but unfortunately an iPod touch is pretty expensive and i am not sure i can afford that + i don't think i could use both the microphone and the guitar at the same time. An android tablet is pretty cheap (i can get one for around 30-40-50 dollars, used of course). I'll take another look on the iPod touch.

LE: I just checked out the iRig. I sincerely think it is extremely overpriced. It can't be anything other than the output of the guitar connected to the microphone input of the iPod through a resistor of some value. The output is actually the stereo output of the jack. I am not sure of the app though... It could be worth something.

Last edited:
You can get the iRig for $10 shipped if you look around. It's a heavily "copied" device. I bought one for a friend and took it apart just to see what was inside. I don't actually remeber at this point, but I think it had an active IC in it (or maybe just a FET or two?).

If it's something you're interested in let me know. My daughters birthday is soon and I was going to get her a new touch since 8gb doesn't seem to be enough storage for her. I would be willing to give a very fair price on it. I could also aquire the iRig for you if need be.

The microphone issue is a small one and could be adressed rather easily I think. Not worth throwing the baby out with the bath water at least.

I understand and I want to thank you for the offer. The actual problem is the transport. You see, I am from Romania and the transport would cost pretty much. Plus, by no means I want to insult you or someone else for that matter, but after some bad experiences I've had, I am not sure if I should trust anyone selling secondhand electronics on the internet, especially if not living in the same country as i do.

The ic you are talking about must be powered by the phantom power used for the condenser microphone, but the power is so little it must function as a buffer (at most) if not as a simple opamp with a gain of .3 to .5. I can make an iRig myself for that matter.

Anyway, I do not quite like iPods because of their quality. I do not find any Apple product for that matter to be of very good quality, sound or build-wise. The only iDevice I find ok is the iPod video, the iPod classic 5.5gen. It's the best sounding player i've ever heard (of course, iModed and rockboxed).

I'm out for tonight, I'll check again in the morning. I hope we can pull it off and find a way to do it on an android tablet. Have a good night!

Well the idea is ok, but not real time.

I did some research on the iRig thing. It is extremely easy to make one. Check this thread for more: iRig (with DIY impedance matching cable?)

I was thinking... I do not think I actually need both guitar and vocal effects at the same time so I can use a single tablet for both guitar and microphone, one at a time. For the guitar I will use Delay Effects but I still need an app for voice. If anyone knows something and is willing to help, I will appreciate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.