diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Xonar essence ground loop (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/226164-xonar-essence-ground-loop.html)

Kei 21st December 2012 11:05 AM

Xonar essence ground loop
 
Got severe ground loop issues with this card running into my luxman amp. It also causes mains hum through the amp when off. Disconnecting the signal cables stops it as does unplugging the power from the pc. Removing the earth pin on the amp also solves it, but obviously isn't safe.

I've got an old Jensen transformer with octal socket somewhere. Would this be ideal to solve the problem?

tamphist 21st December 2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kei (Post 3293827)
Removing the earth pin on the amp also solves it, but obviously isn't safe.

If that solves the problem, do it.
Amp Ground pin is there just for removing the ground loop problems.

Kei 21st December 2012 12:01 PM

Problem is it makes the casing float and feel furry. Probably due to centre tapping from the transformer being taken as ground.

tamphist 21st December 2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kei (Post 3293890)
Problem is it makes the casing float and feel furry. Probably due to centre tapping from the transformer being taken as ground.

Do you have other devices connected to pc,
like television/antenna? TV aerial plug is
a serious grond loop problem generator.

qusp 21st December 2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamphist (Post 3293886)
If that solves the problem, do it.
Amp Ground pin is there just for removing the ground loop problems.

no, the amp ground pin is a path for currents that might otherwise electrocute you to take to ground....

i'm assuming you are talking about your safety ground connection Kei?

tamphist, probably best to get a good idea about exactly what we are dealing with, before making potentially deadly recommendations..... dont you think?

tamphist 21st December 2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp (Post 3293909)
tamphist, probably best to get a good idea about exactly what we are dealing with, before making potentially deadly recommendations..... dont you think?

Yes. I don't like it either, when it "makes the casing float and feel furry".

Kei 21st December 2012 12:25 PM

We're talking the earth connection in the plug.

The noise problems only started when I added the sound card iirc. (Swapped from a creative x-fi with drive bay) I only have the xonar card and h6 daughter board with my graphics card connected. The only other peripherals are hard drives and a DVD drive.

Using onboard audio or audio out of hdmi on the graphics card are noise free. Using the other pcb slot does not change things.

tamphist 21st December 2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kei (Post 3293922)
Using onboard audio or audio out of hdmi on the graphics card are noise free. Using the other pcb slot does not change things.

Must be that your PC chassis is connecting
Xonars Audio GND and that is causing the problem.

You have to isolate this part from the chassis:
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/...06-S06?$S640W$

Kei 21st December 2012 12:41 PM

Even with the card out of the motherboard and just plugged into the psu, there is continuity between the signal ground at the phono and the chassis and other objects grounded in the case. The case is fully coated in paint/powder coat which insulates it anyway.

davidsrsb 21st December 2012 04:10 PM

Try connecting the PC case to the amplifier case with a short, thick cable. Bonding the two together is much safer than lifting earths.

Also have a look at where the two equipments are plugged in. They should be on sockets on the same ring main.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:07 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2