24 Motherboards with PCI slots for UE4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I have uploaded a short paper pinpointing 24 PC motherboards for compatibility with UltimateEqualizer V4 requirements described on

Bodzio Software

It looks like there are more motherboards, but I think, that this may be sufficient for starters. Obviously, I have not tested these boards for codec's SNR, but they are all contemporary.

http://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/PCI_Motherboards.pdf

There are 5 manufacturers: MSI, Biostar, AsRock, ASUS and Gigabyte. All motherboards have 8-channel audio codecs, and 2, 3 and even 4 PCI slots. They accommodate LGA1366, LGA1155 and LGA2011 sockets and various Intel chipsets.

As you can see, the sockets cover the last 2 years – to contemporary. I have included LGA1366 socket, because these computers may pop up on eBay, as they are about 2 years old. All my Windows7/64bit PCs are LGA1366 socket.

This last paper completes all aspects of Ultimate Equalizer Technology, that I wanted to draw your attention to. You now have a very comprehensive pool
of knowledge to refer to, when making your audio technology decision.

Best Regards,
Bohdan

Hi Jer,

From ASRock > 990FX Extreme4

The Asrock 990FX Extreme4 supports:
7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec)
2 x PCI slots
1 x Coaxial SPDIF Out Port
1 x Optical SPDIF Out Port

So this is looking good for two PCI sound cards and full 16in/16out UE4 system + SPDIF for PC running also as audio server (WMP or JRivers).

I am not familiar with AMD processors. Perhaps you, or somebody else on this forum could compare current AMD and Intel CPUs for horsepower, so we can have a clear picture if the UE4 can run in full flight?.

Best Regards,
Bohdan

Right now I have a Gina 24 card and a creative X-FI card.

I prefer the gin24 over the two of them as it is designed for 4 in and 8 out full duplex professional recording with balanced in's and out's.

I had a picked an Asus M5A88-V EVO 880g that had 3 PCI slots but I was afraid of taking a loss on overclocking performance and only supports a maxium of 16GB of ram.
I read many reports of a few issues with it concerning the IDE channel and Linux, as I wanted IDE capability as well.
No need to by a new burner.

The new Vishera series seem to be the best bang for the buck and the overclock very very well.
I have already built a Bulldozer FX-6100 and had it at 4.95GHZ stable for a while then it started messing up so I backed it down to 4.75GHZ and it stays stable 100% for 24/7.

For this build I am using a FX-6300 and I have a friend that has just built a FX-8350 and has had it to 5.1GHZ by just using AOD but not stable.
Using AOD he has it at 4.8Ghz right now until he learns to overclock through the BIOS.

Even though the Intel's are faster they do, do better on the single threaded apps.
And the new AMD's are pulling ahead on the multi-threaded in almost all of the benchmarks.
With there overclockability headroom this can make up the difference very well as well as being a little cheaper.

I got the six core chip for the same price as the 4 core FX-4300 version at $129.95($10 off)and there is was a $70 to $80 difference to the 8 core FX-8350.

My FX-6100 overclocked runs on par and just above the stock FX-8150 and i5-2500k.
So I expected the FX-6300 to do very well.

The new chips perform about 15% better and in some cases more than the first generation FX series.
They are saying that the next years chips will be about 45% better than what is out now.
So we will see.

The FX-8350 is besting the Inte'ls i5-3xxx series and i5-2500 in some cases the i7-3770 and for the most part keeping up with it.
Again this is mostly multi threaded apps and on the average of being $100 cheaper as well.

I would have probably gotten a i7-3770k but I am on a very limited budget for now as my dream machine would be a EVGA Classified SR-X !! :)

Many would probably argue this but the numbers are there as I am not interested in playing games on my machine.

I use it for crunching numbers for spice and such and audio and video work.
And a lot of Live VST stuff and DAW's of course.
Video is where AMD's seem to shine and do better than the Intel's.
Even my FX-6100 overclocked has produced some impressive numbers compared to the intel's in Cinebench and as well as other benchmarks overall.

This is gonna be a big step up in performance for me from the 939 socket opteron 185 and P4's that I am currently running on.
The FX-6100 I had built was for my mother.

I just received the board today so I won't have it running until next week sometime and I will let you know how it goes.
This board does have nearly every interface option you can imagine on it so I am quite impressed by that stand point.
And I have yet to read any reviews of any bad issues with it yet.

I have looked at your software and it looks to be something that I have been looking for, for quite some time.
My only issue is that I am stuck using XP64 if I want to use my Current Gina24 sound card or even the X-FI card, as all attempts to make them work in Win7 and 8 have failed.
Also including my SCSI card but that really isn't an issue once I get all the data transferred to the new SATA drives.

I am sure that the onboard sound system is good by today's standards, But, I don't expect it to have as low of a noise floor as my cards.

Even the 990XA-UD3 that has the FX-6100 as rated at -108db but my cards are at least -10db better although I have yet to listen to the UD3 hooked to my system.
I have seen one ARTA chart of the Asrock sound system and I wasn't really all that impressed.
Again this is something I will find out once it is up and running as I don't use ARTA to do my audio testing.

Everything is run to and from a Mackie 32-8 mixing console.

Cheers !!

jer :)

Last edited:
I had stated that the Gina24 card is a 4 in 8 out card as I was mistaken as it is a 2 in and 8 out card.
However, I do have a Sony PCM-2600 DAT machine that I some times use for an extra two inputs via S/PDIF.
Even though it sports 16bit technology, It is still the best of its class and still sounds very good.

Hi,

Thank you for detailed explanation.

If you run WinXP/64bit, then UE4_WASAPI version will not work. However, the UE4_MME version should work on XP, even thought I actually did not try it.

I have no experience with Gina24 – it seems to be a discontinued product. It would be a shame, because the manual explains an interesting synchronization mode for multiple card set up – this is Esynch (or Esynch 96kHz), which apparently allows all audio ports to be synchronized down to sampling time. From the manual, I understand, that outputs present themselves as 4 pairs of ports. This is what UE4_MME is designed to work with. Gina24 seems to be a 24-bit system as well.

The card seems good for a standard stereo crossover. However, you would not be able to progress into HT, because you need 6 inputs - 3 x Gina24 would be needed. Well, your motherboard has 3 PCI slots for it. I would have to update UE4_MME to control 3 sound cards – no problem there.

Anyway, things are looking rather positive for your setup to work.

Best Regards,
Bohdan

Cool !!!

Yes, The Gina24 is dated as it was one of the first cards of its type to come out in 2000 or so.
We had got it back then and it still performs wonderful today.
They can still be found on Ebay for cheap sometimes and I would like to pick up a few more eventually.

I am not into HT as of yet,I just want to record with my system as it was designed to do.
I also have a Tascam MSR-16 for that.

But, I do want to set up a digital crossover system for my speakers as I know this stuff will do it.
I mainly like to keep things analog but it is hard to beat the 24bit format and everything I listen to anymore comes out of the computer anyhow.

I use DIY ESL's so I only need a 2 or 3 way system maximum at the most.
I had tried a few VST versions but I haven't taken the time to properly set them up yet.
They seemed to work well but my main concern is whether or not the signals coming out are in phaze and/or time misaligned.
I haven't tested this yet but I know that this ole opty 185 some times struggles when I get too many VST's going using Live Professor.
The CPU use goes up quite a bit when using crossovers and equ's at the same time as reverbs and other effects.

But it does fair well by itself as just a crossover and with the new machine I can now dedicate it to just that function or maybe the new AMD can handle it all.
It will be interesting when I get it running.
Anyhow I will use the older machines for dedicated effects channels and such from now on.

My older opty has 4 PCI slots to work with and the new machine has only 2.
The Asus 880g that I was going to get has 3 PCI slots but I decide against that one.

But as far as the Opty is concerned it is still a great machine and hasn't skipped a beat when it comes to audio unlike my P4's.

Thanks for your time!!!!

Cheers!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.