diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Software that can "restore" some dynamics from overly compressed recordings? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/225642-software-can-restore-some-dynamics-overly-compressed-recordings.html)

StigErik 14th December 2012 08:46 AM

Software that can "restore" some dynamics from overly compressed recordings?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that software exists that can do a qualified guess of what's missing in dynamics on most modern recordings, and can "restore" some of it?

Any ideas?

I rarely buy music these days because of the Loudness War, but I just had to have the latest Donald Fagen. And what a disappointment it was sonically.... :(

davidsrsb 14th December 2012 09:49 AM

I don't know anything to restore dynamic range intelligently, but Audacity has an effect to undo clipping damage. This can make the sound a lot less harsh.

StigErik 14th December 2012 10:32 AM

Yes, maybe it was to "undo" the worst brickwall limiting?

What is the name of the effect in Audacity that can do this?

I'm also interested in VST plugins that can do this.

Aiace 14th December 2012 10:43 AM

If the disk is affectet of loudness war as bad as the music is clipping, you can do nothing. You can't recover any information you lost (thermodinamic laws).
But, if you are lucky, and no clipping occurred, you can try with Audacy or others. It's hard to find the correct de-copmression curve, but you can follow your taste.
My experience is: if you can hear harsh in the voices this means that the disk is clipping affect and then you can do nothing.
Sorry

StigErik 14th December 2012 10:49 AM

The problem with the disc mentioned in post 1 is not harshness; rather the opposite. Its bass-heavy and muffled, and in lack of dynamics and openness.

StigErik 14th December 2012 12:40 PM

After some seach I found it, and its just declipping.
Silk: CuteStudio Ltd. Audio, electronics, graphics and embedded software - products/audio/seedeclip

I tested it, and it does not do any magic at all. Sadly....

powerflux 14th December 2012 01:32 PM

it tries to estimate the rise/time of the original unclipped signal. ofcourse, this works best with real clipping. compression isn't as sudden, but gradual..

geraldfryjr 14th December 2012 01:48 PM

Creatives Crystalizer does a pretty good job.
As far as I know it is only for the X-FI engine though.

FWIW

jer :)

davidsrsb 14th December 2012 02:02 PM

The Audacity effect is "clip fix"
Donald Fagens previous release Morph The Cat is bass heavy too, but not muffled.

regal 14th December 2012 02:19 PM

Recent trend is for the individual tracks of a multi-track to have the life compressed out of them, then the mix is made without clipping to claim "this isn't a loudness war mastering." Yea right.