A sort of jukebox programme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have the project in the following years to digitize my entire collection of vinyls, about a thousand or so.
To digitize I have the equipment and the know how to produce .wav files and corrections etc.
But I need a few pointers for playing them!
My scenario is to digitize the records using Steinberg wavelabs 6 to produce the files.wav and a high quality preamp and DA converter ( RME in this case and a hombrew RIAA preamp)
So that taken care of, what I will need is a way to build a database where I can retrieve easily an album or even a particular song.
What programme(s) would you suggest to archive and retrieve the songs in an orderly way.
I did a search but lot of stuff is for linux or dates back to 2005
My idea is to put everything on a USB HD and take it from there
Any suggestions? comments? idea?
It would be nice also to be able to scan the covers and include this in the files... mind you a scanner for a 12X12'' cover is something else!
Thanks, Luc
PS: I am talking more than 500hours of music, more than 10,000 titles!

I Do not want to use MP3s, I definitely can hear sound degradation, and let's not start a debate about this! :) It is a choice I make for some other technical reasons, one of them being that all my music softwares are paid ( quite a bit) and use .wav format!
I will not distribute in anyways those files, all I want realy is to be able to listen to my old records in a more practical way!
So I will examine the suggestions given so far.
Thanks, Luc
Luc

I would probably convert them to .flac which is lossless and reduces file size by roughly 50%.
I wonder how important it is to compress files now that terabyte Hard disk are quite common.
A rough guestimate for file size in stereo is 10Mbytes per minute.
Then 1 teraB = 1 million minutes = 16,666 hours!
So compressing data on a dedicated disk is irrelevant here!
Unless there is other advantages unbeknownst to me!
Luc

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not sure, but the typical CD is around 600 - 700MB, a high resolution album in 24/192 may be 5GB or more uncompressed, so .flac actually makes sense in this context as it doubles the number of files you can store.

I have 1.5TB of storage on my media server and I have used roughly 30% of the available space at this time just for music, the rest was intended for video storage which ain't happening.. It gets used up faster than you might suspect. I have lost track of the number of recordings I have on the server, but I strongly doubt it is more than 200 or so albums. A growing library particularly if high res with fill that drive faster than you expect.

Also when you need to make back up copies since the individual files are smaller this proceeds a bit more quickly. (Not a big deal in most instances)

Also when you need to make back up copies ...

Actually the "when" should be avoided :) Spending countless hours ripping the collection and not backing-up the files is bad practice.

I agree, IMO flac is the proper archive format, considering its reduced size and additional features compared to wav. When taking into account the storage space must be doubled for backup purposes, every spared gigabyte matters.

FLAC is the way to go and supported by almost any media player.
As far as media player software, i use both WinAmp and Foobar2000. Both are good.
If you using the files on an ipod, i believe you need to keep as wav files or compress to ALAC (apples version of Lossless Audio Codex)

My goal is just to archive my collection and retrive any song I want on following the mood I am at the moment. I do not own any playback device, I listen to music only on standard hi-fi systems that I have in the house.
Quite old fashion way to look at it, and it suits me perfectly. I don't even listen to the radio in my car! :)
So I will give a serious look at FLAC tonight and take it from there. You guys have convinced me on that, now I will look at the various software suggestions that were made here.
My recording /playback system is based on RME FW800 (firewire) or EMU 1616M (with the laptop) The studio word clock is based on a tektronix video sync gen ( blackburst) and video time base correctors. The WC is within a few Psec of jitter.
I checked my version of Wavelab (6,2) no FLAC withs this version. I have Reaper that seems to use flac, but I will have to figure it out in the context of archiving. I have a hunch that it is not ideal...
Thanks so far to everybody, your help is precious.
Luc

I don't know why you think listening to music from a server through "standard" hi-fi is old fashioned. Lots of people have been doing that for some time.

Most of my music collection has been ripped to a pc and is served to various rooms through ethernet or wireless. My workshop system is a Squeezebox Touch playing thrugh a rotating assortment of vintage integrated amps/receivers. My main system plays served music through my Oppo BDP95 through Parasound gear and my home office gets music directly from the PC, but through a soundcard to an old Kenwood Preamp and on to some active studio monitors.

Hey fastbike, I use music pretty much the way you do, trough old vintage, home made systems in my shop, my office etc..
I do not own , or want to own anywhere soon, a iPOD, intelligent phone or pad or ....
And very often I will sit down and listen to the music, not just put it in background while doing something else. Now THAT is old fashionned! :D

What software do you use for copying the LP's and how do you listen to it from a central PC. This is all new to me
Thanks, Luc

Hey fastbike, I use music pretty much the way you do, trough old vintage, home made systems in my shop, my office etc..
I do not own , or want to own anywhere soon, a iPOD, intelligent phone or pad or ....
And very often I will sit down and listen to the music, not just put it in background while doing something else. Now THAT is old fashionned! :D

What software do you use for copying the LP's and how do you listen to it from a central PC. This is all new to me
Thanks, Luc

There are many media streamers that will attached to your computer's directory where the music is stored. Sonos for example, take a look at this link to get an idea Sonos CONNECT Wireless HiFi Player.

For recording, I've always been a fan of Audacity an open source app that works well and can save captures as flac Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Also, most intelligent streaming systems with access to the Internet will actually scrape for album and artist information from the internet, so no need to scan album covers.

Also, don't necessarily turn up a nose to an tablet or smart phone, being able to control your music via wireless from a tablet while seeing lyrics, album information, and wealth of other information about the music/artist you're listening to opens up a whole new listen world.

Vinyl storage

An issue you will have is how to access the music, data etc

I have used Mediamonkey and j. River for playback. Both work well, the latter may sound better, deals with higher resolution, etc

The problem you will have is how to get the data into the programs. Both import data from CDs. I have about 1500 lps and really just want to know the metadata on them and would be satisfied with integrating the metadata into j. River. Cd info already there. That way I would have ALL of my music in one database.

The only way I can find to do this is to create a "stub album" ( "dummy data") entry in either program with about 30 stub songs. Make a copy of this - one for each LP. A thousand copies in your case.

Then, one would have to MANUALLY change the album name and each song on the album. Delete the unused song titles.

So now you have ripped a thousand albums in real time. Done the corrections, splits, pop repairs, etc. That's at least 1000 hours of time.

Then you have to type a thousand album names, roughly 10,000 sing titles and manually look up and paste 10,000 lyrics (because the automatic lookup programs utilize cd info that will not exist)

That's a lot of time.

I have a list of all of my lps by title and artist. If some one can figure how to automate this and incorporate programatically into j. River, please let me know

WHATEVER YOU DO, BACKUP THE DATA.

On a PC I use Windows Media Player.
Create your own playlists.

For a standalone I use an ipod 64G...I don't know how many you are going to get on there using .wav files. Mp3's take up a lot less space.
What's the deal with "playlists"? I play entire albums. I don't create various lists of songs to play.

True, MP3's are smaller, but unless they're 320Kbs, they sound like schitt!

MLStrand56

Burwen TNE-7000A

What software do you use for copying the LP's
I'm a vinylphile with 1000+ LP's. When I play an LP, I process it through a Burwen TNE-7000A (Transient Noise Eliminator). Used correctly it can remove clicks/pops from the music. Most of the vinyl sourced click/pops are the result of the record companies using "regrind" vinyl. Old records that didn't sell, are ground up (including the Labels!!!) & mixed with virgin vinyl, to make new records. It's the ground up bits of label that account for most of the clicks/pops. Once I bought a record that actually had part of a paper label sticking up through the surface.

For more severe pops I use a SAE 5000, but it's very easy to grind the music into unlistenable hamburger.

I also have a Garrard MRM (Music Recovery Module) for clicks/pops, but it has it's own phono EQ ckt, which isn't as good as the one in my Sony TA-E2000ESD control amp.

Once the line-level phono signal is processed, you can simply patch it into the INPUT jack on your computers sound card or Audio Input jack on your mobo. Then use the audio converter of your choice to convert the signal to your preferred digital format.

Simple, No?

MLStrand56

www.wikipedia.com

Also, most intelligent streaming systems with access to the Internet will actually scrape for album and artist information from the internet, so no need to scan album covers.
I DL album art from wikipedia. Search wikipedia for the artist you need. Usually there will be a list of most albums (including album art) that the artist released. Click the album you're looking for. Then when "page of the album" opens, click on the album art & you'll usually get a larger picture of the album art.

MLStrand56

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.