diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   A sort of jukebox programme (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/225334-sort-jukebox-programme.html)

blue_luke 9th December 2012 06:15 PM

A sort of jukebox programme

Hi all,
I have the project in the following years to digitize my entire collection of vinyls, about a thousand or so.
To digitize I have the equipment and the know how to produce .wav files and corrections etc.
But I need a few pointers for playing them!
My scenario is to digitize the records using Steinberg wavelabs 6 to produce the files.wav and a high quality preamp and DA converter ( RME in this case and a hombrew RIAA preamp)
So that taken care of, what I will need is a way to build a database where I can retrieve easily an album or even a particular song.
What programme(s) would you suggest to archive and retrieve the songs in an orderly way.
I did a search but lot of stuff is for linux or dates back to 2005
My idea is to put everything on a USB HD and take it from there
Any suggestions? comments? idea?
It would be nice also to be able to scan the covers and include this in the files... mind you a scanner for a 12X12'' cover is something else!
Thanks, Luc
PS: I am talking more than 500hours of music, more than 10,000 titles!

geraldfryjr 9th December 2012 06:40 PM

I have tried this software and I like it very much.
It is very easy to use and maybe it will suit your needs.
It is at least worth looking at as the standard version is free.
I used the Pro version and it works for 2 months for free.

ifoundasound |

jer :)

DUG 9th December 2012 08:20 PM

On a PC I use Windows Media Player.
Create your own playlists.

For a standalone I use an ipod 64G...I don't know how many you are going to get on there using .wav files. Mp3's take up a lot less space.

:)

kevinkr 9th December 2012 08:27 PM

I would probably convert them to .flac which is lossless and reduces file size by roughly 50%. Flac is well supported in the linux realm. (And windows as well)

I use J River Media Center to play all of my digital media.

blue_luke 9th December 2012 08:28 PM

I Do not want to use MP3s, I definitely can hear sound degradation, and let's not start a debate about this! :) It is a choice I make for some other technical reasons, one of them being that all my music softwares are paid ( quite a bit) and use .wav format!
I will not distribute in anyways those files, all I want realy is to be able to listen to my old records in a more practical way!
So I will examine the suggestions given so far.
Thanks, Luc
Luc

blue_luke 9th December 2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkr (Post 3277816)
I would probably convert them to .flac which is lossless and reduces file size by roughly 50%.

I wonder how important it is to compress files now that terabyte Hard disk are quite common.
A rough guestimate for file size in stereo is 10Mbytes per minute.
Then 1 teraB = 1 million minutes = 16,666 hours!
So compressing data on a dedicated disk is irrelevant here!
Unless there is other advantages unbeknownst to me!
Luc

kevinkr 9th December 2012 09:01 PM

Not sure, but the typical CD is around 600 - 700MB, a high resolution album in 24/192 may be 5GB or more uncompressed, so .flac actually makes sense in this context as it doubles the number of files you can store.

I have 1.5TB of storage on my media server and I have used roughly 30% of the available space at this time just for music, the rest was intended for video storage which ain't happening.. It gets used up faster than you might suspect. I have lost track of the number of recordings I have on the server, but I strongly doubt it is more than 200 or so albums. A growing library particularly if high res with fill that drive faster than you expect.

Also when you need to make back up copies since the individual files are smaller this proceeds a bit more quickly. (Not a big deal in most instances)

phofman 10th December 2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkr (Post 3277871)
Also when you need to make back up copies ...

Actually the "when" should be avoided :) Spending countless hours ripping the collection and not backing-up the files is bad practice.

I agree, IMO flac is the proper archive format, considering its reduced size and additional features compared to wav. When taking into account the storage space must be doubled for backup purposes, every spared gigabyte matters.

blue_luke 10th December 2012 01:48 PM

I've just checked about .FLAC files and it seems to be the ticket.
One advantage is that it is a native format in 'Reaper', which I can use in my pro work, we use Nuendo, but for this project I see no difficulties.

there is an excellent WIKI about it here: FLAC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And a list of software that use it: List of hardware and software that supports FLAC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite interesting
Luc

Floric 10th December 2012 05:14 PM

Hi,

one advantage of flac over (pure and widely supported) wav is the possibility to store metadata (artist, album, title etc.) within the file.

I would not want to store large amounts of songs without correct metadata.

Best regards

Flo