Switch mode PSU for wireless router - restricting performance? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Switch mode PSU for wireless router - restricting performance?

Has anyone heard a difference in audio quality with a wireless streaming system when changing the router PSU? I have my doubts but remain open minded

linear power supply for routers - Mains Cables R Us

Think I'd be buying a better wireless router for that kind of money (and switch the virgin box to modem only mode)
Old 4th December 2012, 11:59 AM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Err, if the power supply in your router is causing sound degredation then you have bigger problems to worry about.
In this instance they are going on about mains noise, which is noisy anyway and one more SMPS that is competently designed aint gonna make a bit of difference. Its just marketingin this case to get silly money out of people for a power supply. The data through the router will work whatever the PSU (as long as it is up to the job) and the one that comes with the router is upto the job.
Thats the long answer, the short one is more marketing BS and snake oil.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:10 PM   #3
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

seconded, and from a place thats called "mains cables r us" too.

don't buy it (sounds like you've already decided on not doing that anyway) and don't let anyone else buy it either, its pure snake oil of the highest refined quality, from the finest selected power points.

SMPS power supplies won't even inject noise onto the 2.4GHz band, so by theoretically going to a linear psu for a wireless router it won't make any difference at all.

Plasma TV sets or split system air conditioners on the other hand, some of those CAN interfere with the 2.4ghz band.

nice find :P

Last edited by freax; 4th December 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I had a linear PSU that injected so much 50Hz that it was affecting my audio frequency measurements and I eventually replaced it with a router that uses SMPS.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry to be OT but this from the web site, the paragraph after "A Bit of History" I found very interesting and informative, enjoy.
Blue Horizon Proburn Cable Burn-In Machine
Old 4th December 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, one should be never openminded about clearly ignorant BS, rgds, sreten.

I don't know how the purveyors of such crap sleep at night ....
Old 5th December 2012, 06:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Probably very well, I believe marketing is based on streching the truth as far as possible, and in some cdases further than that.
I wonder if other areas of consumer technology suffer this sort of pseudo science?
Old 5th December 2012, 06:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

To confirm, I would never buy this device. I can't see how it could make a difference (if I could I would just buy/build a simple linear 12vdc for £10-20 all in).

The reason I flagged it up is that I have limited understanding of high frequency RF systems and wondered if there could be any advantage to a linear supply that I couldn't see. Could the difference in noise spectrum have any effect?
Old 5th December 2012, 06:50 AM   #9
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

not on a wireless router which is typically a 100% digital device.

if the router is compatible with DD-WRT then I suggest that you try and install it, but beware it can be bricked.

Try changing your routers channel.

typically problems associated with routers are firmware or design based and the only way to fix a problem with it is to buy another one or update the firmware and they definatley wont be related to the power supply

I've had good luck with apple wireless audio streaming devices, you won't get the typically unstable or error prone issues that you find in windows compatible devices if you buy 100% apple.

Sent from my ipad 3 while listening to shoutcast on my apple tv device to my stereo via airplay...

Last edited by freax; 5th December 2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Cheers for flagging it up, the site on its own is interesting. PSU's for logitechs in the £400 pound range. I am in the wrong job..

Hide this!Advertise here!