Switch mode PSU for wireless router - restricting performance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Err, if the power supply in your router is causing sound degredation then you have bigger problems to worry about.
In this instance they are going on about mains noise, which is noisy anyway and one more SMPS that is competently designed aint gonna make a bit of difference. Its just marketingin this case to get silly money out of people for a power supply. The data through the router will work whatever the PSU (as long as it is up to the job) and the one that comes with the router is upto the job.
Thats the long answer, the short one is more marketing BS and snake oil.

seconded, and from a place thats called "mains cables r us" too.

don't buy it (sounds like you've already decided on not doing that anyway) and don't let anyone else buy it either, its pure snake oil of the highest refined quality, from the finest selected power points.

SMPS power supplies won't even inject noise onto the 2.4GHz band, so by theoretically going to a linear psu for a wireless router it won't make any difference at all.

Plasma TV sets or split system air conditioners on the other hand, some of those CAN interfere with the 2.4ghz band.

nice find :p

Last edited:
To confirm, I would never buy this device. I can't see how it could make a difference (if I could I would just buy/build a simple linear 12vdc for £10-20 all in).

The reason I flagged it up is that I have limited understanding of high frequency RF systems and wondered if there could be any advantage to a linear supply that I couldn't see. Could the difference in noise spectrum have any effect?

not on a wireless router which is typically a 100% digital device.

if the router is compatible with DD-WRT then I suggest that you try and install it, but beware it can be bricked.

Try changing your routers channel.

typically problems associated with routers are firmware or design based and the only way to fix a problem with it is to buy another one or update the firmware and they definatley wont be related to the power supply

I've had good luck with apple wireless audio streaming devices, you won't get the typically unstable or error prone issues that you find in windows compatible devices if you buy 100% apple.

Sent from my ipad 3 while listening to shoutcast on my apple tv device to my stereo via airplay...

Last edited:
Thats an interesting question. To put things in perspective I went round some of the more up-market shops in London this year, when I saw a mobile phone for £59,000 I had to re-think reality, and my reality dosn't include phones that are that expensive:) and even if I could afford it; it was rather tasteless, but looked expensive...
Home built speakers, home built amp, some added commercial gear, the money I save buys a beer and a chill and the music provides the satisfaction, be it loud rock or gentle female vocal, and sometimes even opera!!! I just pick the sounds to match the mood; why I'm no good at listening tests, I listen to the music not the system:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.