Maximizing YouTube download audio quality - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2012, 07:39 PM   #1
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Maximizing YouTube download audio quality

Audio quality of music is my main concern when downloading from YouTube (and Vimeo, which I only just discovered).

But am I wrong or are there relatively few A/V file viewers? Can you recommend a program that displays an audio or video file’s container (i.e. FLV, MP4, Quicktime, AVI, Matroska, WebM), its audio codec (i.e. AC-3, AAC, ALAC, ALS, FLAC, Vorbis, TwinVQ, BSAC, MPEG1 thru-4, SLS, Audio Lossless Coding, MPEG-4 DST, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC,
Windows Media Audio, Wavpack) and bit rate (from 60 up to at least 192Kbps)?

Since transcoding (i.e. file converting) is said to produce somewhat lossy results, I don’t require any software featuring those utilities, all other features being equal. Storage space is sufficiently cheap enough for archiving larger HQ or HD files in their original format.

Free or not doesn’t matter, so long as it reliably displays all popular containers

(Comparison of container formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) , the lossy and losslessaudio codecs found in them (Comparison of audio formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and the lowest to the highest bit rates in files found on YouTube, Vimeo and HDTracks.com.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, YouTube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, rgds, sreten.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, YouTube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, rgds, sreten.

The encoded audio bitrate may have nothing to do with the actual source rate.
Old 28th October 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Video quality is more of my concern...

Quote:
Can you recommend a program that displays an audio or video file’s container (i.e. FLV, MP4, Quicktime, AVI, Matroska, WebM), its audio codec (i.e. AC-3, AAC, ALAC, ALS, FLAC, Vorbis, TwinVQ, BSAC, MPEG1 thru-4, SLS, Audio Lossless Coding, MPEG-4 DST, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Windows Media Audio, Wavpack) and bit rate (from 60 up to at least 192Kbps)?
Mediainfo. Download as a standalone program, or use the one inside MPC-HC.
Old 6th November 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member

Default HD YouTube file accessing

Thanks, I've read YouTube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Audio codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Comparison of audio formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bit rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sampling rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are the benefits of recording with a sample rate greater than 44.1? - recordingquestions.com
mp3 - AAC Sample Rate and Bit Rate for High Quality Audio? - Super User

Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...vs-mp4-quality and
http://www.h3xed.com/web-and-interne...80p-720p-1080p

adding
“&hd=1” , “&hd=18” and/or “&hd=22” to the end of a YouTube file’s URL

code, will access the HD version of the file (which by default uses a better quality

audio codec and/or a higher bit rate), if such a file version was created and uploaded.

But what is a video embedder? How does it differ from the player at YouTube’s and/or Vimeo’s site?

Is there a particular player/embedder that I can download (free or not) which, among other things, can be set to also automatically locate the HD or HQ (> 128kbps and/or lower loss codec) version of the file on the web-even it’s no longer posted at YouTube? If yes, please suggest one.

Is there a way to enable that embedder or player so that it always grabs the HD or HQ file first-and so eliminate the need to add the above suffixes to the URL?

I typically use Firefox. Excuse the possibly dumb question but are all browsers the same or might one somehow provide wider access to these HD or HQ version files?

Or are there special HD or video quality browser settings?

Old 7th November 2012, 06:56 AM   #6
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Google keepvid
Old 25th November 2012, 01:47 AM   #7
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jdownloader is useful. Copy the Youtube URL to the clipboard, and Jdownloader will let you choose from the different audio and video formats and containers and resolutions available.
Old 26th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #8
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

just use download helper for firefox plugin, it copies it directly into its native container format, flv or mp4. and its easy as pie to use, just gotta click on the little arrow next to the rotating button up top and save the file while viewing a youtube video.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ownloadhelper/

inorder to maintain a high level of audio quality ensure that you always try to get the 720p or 1080p version of a video, or if unavailable, 480p.
Old 26th November 2012, 08:41 PM   #9
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Entering MPlayer homepage

the xine project - Home

Hide this!Advertise here!