PlayBook as media server - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2012, 06:55 AM   #1
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default PlayBook as media server

For a while now I have been thinking about the Logitech SqueezeBox Touch device as a primary souce of audio in my system. I have always held back because it was relatively expensive (around $400 in Canada), and because it seemed to require either that my PC is on all the time or that I purchase one of a small number of expensive NAS devices. OK, I'm a cheapskate.

Right now wifi-only BlackBerry Playbooks are available at a pretty good price, and they will soon be all gone.

So what I want is something like any number of personal music players: I want a legible screen that allows me to find ripped music by artist, album, or folder. I want album art to make that search easier, or at least to make it easier to answer the question "What am I listening to?" Although I am an anacronisom and continue to buy CD's, finding the CD I want to listen to has become an ordeal as my eyes age. If I had access to Internet radio stations, that would be cool, but it is not a deal-breaker. So I want to rip my (legally purchased) CD's, store them on a hard drive attached to my network, and I want to access that music from some device with a decent screen in my living room, far from my computer (which I would prefer not to tuen on just to listen to music).

And... I would like to be able to do this with a cheap wi-fi PlayBook.

Can it be done? Any hints, ideas, solutions? Most of what I have seen so far involves using a PlayBook (or tablet in general) to control music played from a PC, but that is not what I want. I have a PC, but I do jot use it to stream music, and I am not crazy about the idea of turning it on in one room just so I can listen to music in another room. That said, at this time I do not have network-attached storage that I can leverage; I am looking to find a solution then add the storage.

Any ideas?

Oh, I should mention one other reason I have rejected the SqueezeBox option: Logitech have discontinued it.

Last edited by nezbleu; 20th October 2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: left something out

Hide this!Advertise here!