Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
JLOP is offline JLOP  France
diyAudio Member

Default Any Diy PC Power Noise filters ?

Hi all

I am intrigued by two filtering devices :
- SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter:
- SOtM In-Line Fan Power Noise Filter

Has someone experienced them ?
What are the principles behind ?

Do you know equivalent DIY projects ?

BR
Jean-Louis
Old 19th October 2012, 12:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Those look like simple LC Filters (and possible a cap bank to try to filter out some of the ripple) inline with the 12V, 5V and 3.3V lines. Truthfully, I'd be more worried about the voltage drop caused by them than I would my audio. While of course putting an inductor in is better than a resistor, it's still not perfect.

Now whether it does anything is questionable. In my quick looking, I can't see any actual data to support their claims. I see a lot of subjectivist data but I don't see any graphics showing oscilloscope traces or what not. Showing how clean the power into the device is would actually show something at least. This can be EASILY done (see HardOCP and JonnyGuru reviews on power supplies). Additionally, most good devices have their own voltage regulation circuits AFTER the PSU regulates the voltages. Additionally, this doesn't prevent or change radiated noise inside the computer so it doesn't do much for that either.
Old 25th October 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Know Coreaudiotechnologies Filtered ATX Cables ?

Of course they wont filter aerial noise, and they are pretty expensive at 300$ and big inside a PC. https://coreaudiotechnology.com/prod...atx24s1-detail

Do they work ?
Has someone tried a DIY on that, I guess the filtering techniques must be quite easy ?

BR
Old 25th October 2012, 02:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

At that price, I would rather Ian's FIFO (a project developed on these forums) with his new isolator board on the i2s lines and reclock the i2s after the isolator. In theory should make the system almost transport agnostic and variations on the computer side will have minimal impact.

I personally wouldn't be spending money on any of these solutions unless I'd built a pretty high end DAC and analogue stage to go with it.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'd rather isolate the dac and amp. End of problem
Old 13th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Telstar
Thanks but how to do it in practice ? No drawbacks ?
Old 13th November 2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

With Mains Isolation transformers, one or two per equipment piece, generously sized so there cannot be current starving. Only drawback is cost (50-100€ a piece for SMALL equipment).
They are expensive, but a better option overall because at least on my studio desk i have 6 smpts psu and only 2 linear ones connected to the same power line (DAC and headamp). Ofc the computer is the biggest polluter, but who knows how all the other crap is made?
For a main speaker system maybe multi-amped the weights probably would be on the other side, where the smpts are one or two and then it would be more "sensible" to isolate/filter those rather than the analog equipment.
In my book an isolation transformer beats any filter. If you "float" the psu there is no ground contamination to and from the other devices, it is isolated
Old 13th November 2012, 10:05 AM   #8
sandyK is offline sandyK  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOP View Post
Hi all

I am intrigued by two filtering devices :
- SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter:
- SOtM In-Line Fan Power Noise Filter

Has someone experienced them ?
What are the principles behind ?

Do you know equivalent DIY projects ?

BR
Jean-Louis

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp
Old 13th November 2012, 11:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Great SandyK, thanks. Cant believe they sell this price such simple systems...

What benefits do you find out in practice ? During riping or reading ?

BTW I need a good theory on global noise filtration in a PC

BR
Old 13th November 2012, 11:34 AM   #10
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Isolation between PC and DAC is the only way as Telstar said.
You may be suprised to find that the supplys are generaly filtered between stages in a PC.
PC noise sources not only the power supplies but a lot of noise caused by digital circuitry switching, look for simultaneous switching noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!