How should a music server behave?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am still looking for a music server. I have tried several and all drive me back to my wall of CD's. Would you please look over my list and see if you have a recommendation?

# I want a simple touch screen. Some sort of tablet. Apple-ish I guess.
# I should be able to just touch either artist or category.
# I should then see icons (skins plus text) for everything in that "directory"
# If I double click an artist, I expect it to start playing random complete albums of that artist.
# If I single click, I expect it to open that folder and give me icons/text for all the albums of that artist.
# Same behavior, If I click an album twice, it should play that CD.
# If I single click it, it should open to give me access to the specific songs.
# I should have a text search for all cd's and songs with suggestion complete and spelling correction.
# It should remember the randomizer and complete the category before repeating.
#On loading it, I want to use EAC to get the very best copy I can. For me, sound quality is absolutely number one. The problem with that is I then have to type in the song details. This will take a while for 1000 or so CD's
#Every CD should be a directory.
#Artist or category is a database kind of thing.
#No goofy play-list building. I listen to CD's.

I have no commitment on the host computers. One is a server in a closet, the other the user interface. I expect to use either USB, wireless to USB to distribute the digital to one of my good DAC's.

At some future point, I will join the 21 century and maybe buy music on-line, for for now, this old fart just wants to modernize the playback. I guess it would be handy to be able to load some MP3 player for my car. It has a cable for an iPlayer.

I find a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and its iPhone app rather rocking. It may not meet every bit of your UI requirements, but it does come close. I run the Squeezebox Server on my Synology DS210 NAS.

I find the built-in DAC in the Squeezebox to be quite lacking so when I had one on loan, I used a Focusrite Saffire sound card as a DAC.

My plan is to add a Squeezebox when they go on sale.

~Tom

Hi,

everybody can wish for or expect certain functionality, but reality may be very different.
Admittedly most manufacturers software leaves a lot to be desired. This is due to the fact that most software sets up on the upnp protocol, which is seriously limited. For example is it album based and allows for just one interpret per album. now everybody will have sampler albums. If all sampler's interprets are listed as 'various artists' you won't find the music. Another restriction is the search string, which must follow strict conventions. Searching for 'Beatles' doesn't list the albums tagged as 'The Beatles'. There are other serious restrictions of this protocol.
Also, for editing of Data you need to connect Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor. Afaik our software and servers are the only that allow for a complete handling of the servers and complete editing and ripping via IPod/IPad. Even though we can serve most of Your requirements and alot more than any competitor at the time (cause our software doesn't set up on upnp), not all requirements can be fulfilled. You may contact David Censullo of Avatar acoustics for more infos.

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.