uncompressed flac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:up:

Pretty much my entire digital music library is in FLAC format. (Some DSD)
FLAC is referred to as a lossless codec, not "uncompressed" - which in any event is incorrect terminology because FLAC losslessly compresses and restores audio files.

Try EAC for ripping, open source, free and one of the pioneers of error free "paranoid mode" ripping - it also can handle the conversion to FLAC or a number of other popular codecs.. (APE, Monkey's Audio [Lossless], Lame MP3, etc.)

I use J River Media Center 17 which handles just about every aspect of digital media management from ripping, tagging, album art, database management to obviously playback. It will play most media formats natively including DSD, and of course FLAC.

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
flac uncompressed

Hi

I am well happy, using the latest DP-Poweramp CD ripper with the latest uncompressed flac setting (basically it takes a raw wav file and wraps it in a flac wrapper for tagging)

and it sounds great ... and I have it playing in WMP 11 and 12 and windows media center as well as J river 17 media as well ... yes that's right WMP playing full flac files with artwork and tagging.

I finally have wav files with full tagging

yeepppeeeeeeeee

Increasing the recording bit rate from 16 to 24 increases the dynamic range not detail. 96k sampling rate is all I need from a LP transfer to FLAC. At 192k/24 bit you are going to used much more space on the hard drive with no increase in detail. Depending on what ADC chip you are using can decrease quality at 192K as compared to 96K. For live recording I do use 24 bit so that I do not run into a situation where the sound could cause clipping in the recordings and then I usually will down-sample to 16bit for redbook standard.

SNR of vinyl/vinyl playback is ~60dB, so apart from the first 10 to 12 most significant bits, the rest of the bits contain information that is of lower amplitude than the noise floor. These bits will be recording only noise.

It's not bad for the sound. But noise is hard to compress.

Increase the resolution from 16bit to 24bit increases the dynamic range and LP's do not have anywhere the dynamic range that the 24 bit offers. You will be recording much more low level noise from the LP that is not in the music. So you are wasting all that dynamic bandwidth for noise.

With respect, I don't understand any of this - you seem to think that increasing resolution from 16 bit to 24 bit is bad for the sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.