Which ethernet cables are fiber optic? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
ggking7 is offline ggking7  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Which ethernet cables are fiber optic?

Can anyone tell me how to determine if an ethernet cable is fiber optic? If one is fiber optic, is there no connection between the two ends besides the insulation and the fiber?
Old 27th August 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A1 By looking at the connector.
A2 The fiber is the connection. I don't know offhand what any insulation requirements might be. The process itself seems to be self-isolating.
Here's an interesting cutaway I found:
Attached Images
File Type: gif FIBER288.GIF (10.4 KB, 213 views)
Old 27th August 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggking7 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to determine if an ethernet cable is fiber optic?
Look at the connections at the end, a fiber optic cable will have a single 'plug' per strand while a wire cable will have a single plug aka rj connection for all the wires.
Quote:
If one is fiber optic, is there no connection between the two ends besides the insulation and the fiber?
Its possible to join two fiber optic cables, so there can be a connection between the two ends.
Regards, Xeclipse.
Old 27th August 2012, 01:24 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If it has a fibre inside then its a fibre optic cable. If it has copper inside then its a copper cable.

Copper ethernet cables will either have BNC (coaxial) or 'RJ45' (UTP) connectors. Older 'thick' ethernet will have N connectors.
Old 27th August 2012, 03:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'd like to isolate the ethernet connection between two computers. Should I use two of these with one in front of the ethernet port on either computer and a fiber optic ethernet cable in-between:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet 100/1000Base-T to SFP Media Converter (TFC-1000MGA): Computers & Accessories

With a 25-foot fiber optic cable, should this increase or decrease latency compared to running a crossover cable directly between the computers?

Quote:
Here's an interesting cutaway I found
It looks like there may actually be a "metal armor" connection between each end?
Old 28th August 2012, 01:47 PM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ethernet connections are isolated, also the signals are LVDS. What are you trying to achieve?
Old 28th August 2012, 03:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd like to isolate the ethernet connection between two computers. Should I use two of these with one in front of the ethernet port on either computer and a fiber optic ethernet cable in-between:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet 100/1000Base-T to SFP Media Converter (TFC-1000MGA): Computers & Accessories

With a 25-foot fiber optic cable, should this increase or decrease latency compared to running a crossover cable directly between the computers?
The unit you show linked above will still require mini-GBIC modules for the fiber interface.

You will need a unit such as this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-G...dias+converter

If you don't need 1000BASE-T there are less expensive 100BASE-T units. Look for multi-mode units with the type SC multi-mode fiber connector. You will not need single-mode fiber for short distances.

There will be no latency issues.

Scott

Last edited by scott17; 28th August 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 28th August 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

All copper Ethernet is transformer isolated. You will not generate ground loops or any similar issue using an ethernet cable (although some CAT6 cables are shielded and might create a ground loop. Use an unshielded cable).

Did you realize that the media converters you pointed to do not include the laser module? You need to buy and install the laser module appropriate for the distance you want to cover and the type of fiber you will use.
Old 28th August 2012, 04:57 PM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The CAt 6 shield is not used as a ground connection, the signals are LVDS and provided the ethernet layout is done correctly (which it should as it is one of the most documented interfaces forlayout, and has to be when you consider how you can plug any equipement into an thernet modular connector and it will work) you should not create a ground loop even with CAT 6 cable, but as there are not many full gigabit ethernet instalations as Macboy said use CAT 5 and there are no worries.
Fibre is a bit of overkill for homeuse, cable is good enough.
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce
Ethernet connections are isolated, also the signals are LVDS. What are you trying to achieve?
I'm trying to prevent the EMI generated by one computer from being conducted to a second computer connected via ethernet. Would any ethernet cable provide this sort of isolation? I would have thought a copper connection between the computers would provide a pathway for EMI.

Hide this!Advertise here!