diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Which ethernet cables are fiber optic? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/218610-ethernet-cables-fiber-optic.html)

ggking7 27th August 2012 11:22 AM

Which ethernet cables are fiber optic?

Can anyone tell me how to determine if an ethernet cable is fiber optic? If one is fiber optic, is there no connection between the two ends besides the insulation and the fiber?

sofaspud 27th August 2012 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A1 By looking at the connector.
A2 The fiber is the connection. I don't know offhand what any insulation requirements might be. The process itself seems to be self-isolating.
Here's an interesting cutaway I found:

xeclipse 27th August 2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggking7 (Post 3141507)
Can anyone tell me how to determine if an ethernet cable is fiber optic?

Look at the connections at the end, a fiber optic cable will have a single 'plug' per strand while a wire cable will have a single plug aka rj connection for all the wires.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ggking7 (Post 3141507)
If one is fiber optic, is there no connection between the two ends besides the insulation and the fiber?

Its possible to join two fiber optic cables, so there can be a connection between the two ends.
Regards, Xeclipse.

DF96 27th August 2012 01:24 PM

If it has a fibre inside then its a fibre optic cable. If it has copper inside then its a copper cable.

Copper ethernet cables will either have BNC (coaxial) or 'RJ45' (UTP) connectors. Older 'thick' ethernet will have N connectors.

ggking7 27th August 2012 03:11 PM

I'd like to isolate the ethernet connection between two computers. Should I use two of these with one in front of the ethernet port on either computer and a fiber optic ethernet cable in-between:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet 100/1000Base-T to SFP Media Converter (TFC-1000MGA): Computers & Accessories

With a 25-foot fiber optic cable, should this increase or decrease latency compared to running a crossover cable directly between the computers?

Quote:

Here's an interesting cutaway I found
It looks like there may actually be a "metal armor" connection between each end?

marce 28th August 2012 01:47 PM

Ethernet connections are isolated, also the signals are LVDS. What are you trying to achieve?

scott17 28th August 2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggking7 (Post 3141691)
I'd like to isolate the ethernet connection between two computers. Should I use two of these with one in front of the ethernet port on either computer and a fiber optic ethernet cable in-between:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet 100/1000Base-T to SFP Media Converter (TFC-1000MGA): Computers & Accessories

With a 25-foot fiber optic cable, should this increase or decrease latency compared to running a crossover cable directly between the computers?

The unit you show linked above will still require mini-GBIC modules for the fiber interface.

You will need a unit such as this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-G...dias+converter

If you don't need 1000BASE-T there are less expensive 100BASE-T units. Look for multi-mode units with the type SC multi-mode fiber connector. You will not need single-mode fiber for short distances.

There will be no latency issues.

Scott

macboy 28th August 2012 03:26 PM

All copper Ethernet is transformer isolated. You will not generate ground loops or any similar issue using an ethernet cable (although some CAT6 cables are shielded and might create a ground loop. Use an unshielded cable).

Did you realize that the media converters you pointed to do not include the laser module? You need to buy and install the laser module appropriate for the distance you want to cover and the type of fiber you will use.

marce 28th August 2012 04:57 PM

The CAt 6 shield is not used as a ground connection, the signals are LVDS and provided the ethernet layout is done correctly (which it should as it is one of the most documented interfaces forlayout, and has to be when you consider how you can plug any equipement into an thernet modular connector and it will work) you should not create a ground loop even with CAT 6 cable, but as there are not many full gigabit ethernet instalations as Macboy said use CAT 5 and there are no worries.
Fibre is a bit of overkill for homeuse, cable is good enough.

ggking7 3rd September 2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marce
Ethernet connections are isolated, also the signals are LVDS. What are you trying to achieve?

I'm trying to prevent the EMI generated by one computer from being conducted to a second computer connected via ethernet. Would any ethernet cable provide this sort of isolation? I would have thought a copper connection between the computers would provide a pathway for EMI.