Which ethernet cables are fiber optic? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2012, 10:19 AM   #11
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Look up the ethernet interface, it is designed so that you can plug any ethernet device into it, so is designed to been designigned as an isolated interface. Curious as to what EMI you are refering to, as all electronic devices are tested to pass CE and FCC in regards to elecromagnetic compatability.
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:09 AM   #12
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ggking7, are you actually HAVING problems with EMI, or are you just being too influenced by audiophile press which promotes it as something evil to be feared and eradicated at all costs (along with promoting various high dollar contraptions to reduce it)? i've just noticed its a theme in a number of your posts/queries lately
Old 4th September 2012, 06:06 AM   #13
ggking7 is offline ggking7  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp
are you actually HAVING problems with EMI, or are you just being too influenced by audiophile press which promotes it as something evil to be feared and eradicated at all costs
I've been having problems with EMI for years. It must be eradicated, yes, but I've come to that conclusion through personal experience. I hope that's OK. The latest example is that the Sony PCM-M10 I just got sounds worlds better than my computer and Wavelength Proton USB DAC when either are connected to the same amp and speakers. I think this is due to the EMI conducted from the computer to the DAC.

Anyway, I hope I don't offend anyone by experimenting with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17
The unit you show linked above will still require mini-GBIC modules for the fiber interface.

You will need a unit such as this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-G...dias+converter

If you don't need 1000BASE-T there are less expensive 100BASE-T units. Look for multi-mode units with the type SC multi-mode fiber connector. You will not need single-mode fiber for short distances.
Does anyone know of a unit like this with 5VDC input so I can power it with a supply I have?
Old 4th September 2012, 07:25 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

It may not be the computer,it may be the DAC. Have you isolated the EMI and measured it or is it based on perception?
Old 4th September 2012, 07:40 AM   #15
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no offense taken, i've just noticed that not just in your posts, that EMI is the latest buzzword, when it can be as simple as bad grounding practices
Old 4th September 2012, 08:08 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Playing about with grounding is usualy how problems are solved when you are testing kit in an EMC lab. All products sold should be EMC complient, and for commercial products in the EU it is quite a stringent requirement. One of the causes of EMC problems in diy products (Audio) is over exuberant star grounding. Here is someinteresting reading, the first two articles being the most relevant:
Tony Waldron's EMC ranting and ravings
Old 5th September 2012, 09:27 AM   #17
ggking7 is offline ggking7  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce
It may not be the computer,it may be the DAC. Have you isolated the EMI and measured it or is it based on perception?
This is based on perception only. The USB-powered Wavelength Proton DAC is really well-regarded and it takes a big step up in sound quality whenever I find a way to reduce EMI from the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce
Playing about with grounding is usualy how problems are solved when you are testing kit in an EMC lab. All products sold should be EMC complient, and for commercial products in the EU it is quite a stringent requirement. One of the causes of EMC problems in diy products (Audio) is over exuberant star grounding.
Galvanic isolation strikes me as preferable to any other method which minimizes the effects of EMI. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

How does this look:

Ethernet To Fiber Optic Converter / Converters - MM

It's multi-mode, SC connector, 100BASE-T, and 5VDC.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post

Hi Marc,

Just had a (very quick) look at the first three articles your link indexes - I have to say they look excellent.

They'll be light relief for me in a day or two, once I've finished repairing an incinerated pcb from a mixing desk psu. The owner noticed that the cooling fan had packed in, but kept going regardless. It took a week to die, don't know how he could put up with the smell.....I wake up in a cold sweat with the odour of electrical fire in my nostrils....

Old 6th September 2012, 07:30 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Simon,
its an interesting article, as are most on EMC and EMC problems cos by its nature, when you get a problem its because your carefully thought out grounding scheme hasn't accounted for some stray path.
Hows life, I've been down Harrow for 9 weeks now at Esterlines Headset place, having fun.

Hide this!Advertise here!