Best digital connection for Media Center PC? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2012, 04:21 AM   #11
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

I us an M2 TECH USB 2 to spdif convertor. It forces the USB output to be asynchronous and this is the entire trick for using a Win PC as a music server. I am running it into a Berkley Audio DAC, loaned to me by a very good friend, and I can run 24/196 files with no hiccups at all.

Sure, you can use Fidilizer to turn off Windows functions, but you still must find a way to enforce the proper USB output. As for players, why would anyone use anything other than Foobar 2000? It will play HDCD and WAV 64 files with free plugin's.

Next thing is a solid state hard drive with an new oppo, sounds every bit as good as the Berkley and I have had it in my system already, so I know what I want when money spending becomes possible again.... someday. By the way, Amazon sells the little M2Tech jewel for USD $154 and that, with a true 75 ohm cable, without any damn ferrite core filled plastic boxes to make up for poor engineering, is going to run you $184 total with shipping.

Bud
Old 5th September 2012, 05:20 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

First of all I'm so glad I found this forum with it's wealth of info and ideas. That being said I have a HP S5560F with Alpinia-GL8 MB, and the Realtek ALC 888S VD chipset. I am using Foobar 2000 with a Wasapi plugin, running all my Flac,Ape,Wav, past the ALC chipset via HDMI out to my Samsung TV/ monitor and have relied on it's onboard DAC (which I know no specs for,or have found any available), and finally RCA out to my Sansui AU11 D11 mkII with Klipsch KG4 supercharged. I have not had the pleaure to here many setups so can't judge, but have to say my friends that have, go WOW! (I think?) .The point is that I have finally found my long lost love to build again (Divorces tend to do that), and I'm am building Klipsch LaScala's on steriods. This has led me to this forum, as I've decided to go with active xovers and not the ( very desirable $1500 extreme slope ALK XO's). My problem is that I have only a Spdif RCA out and a Analog RCA out on my sound card. Where do I go from here? Spdif to ASE3 converter to MiniDSP/ DCX 2496 or Spdif RCA to DAC to Analog XO, or change out the sound card? As you can see I'm a little confused but not brand new at this. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated as I'm getting very close to the end of my build and can't wait to have a beer and sit back and listen to John Scofield rip another lick. Thank you in advance 2S2P
Old 5th September 2012, 05:42 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

A quick note I've AB'd the sound card to my TV Dac and the TV wins every time. No matter how I try the TV just's sounds more dynamic and and cleaner. What's up with that? 2S2P
Old 5th September 2012, 06:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Have to post a correction The Hi Face from M2 Tech is only good for 24/192, not 196.

2sick, poke into the Berringer 2496 DCX threads. There are some fabulous mods to that piece for reasonable dollars.

Bud
Old 5th September 2012, 07:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thank you Budp; I'm all over that and will let you know how it goes. 2Sick2Sing.
Old 5th September 2012, 07:35 AM   #16
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Once I wanted to measure the DAC of the family's LED TV but never did get around doing it.

I did try the DAC of two LED monitors. Both measured terrible and one of them couldn't even output enough voltage.

Then again, are 0.01% THD and 75dB SNR actually audible?

Back to the TV, mine has some don't know what dynamic range surround sound epic bass whatsoever effect which is on by default. AFAIK, nowadays TVs come with video and audio enhancements on by default because they make things look/sound "nice". Perhaps that is what you're hearing.

Last edited by wwenze; 5th September 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 7th September 2012, 07:16 AM   #17
clm811 is offline clm811  United States
diyAudio Member

I just purchased an M2 TECH USB 2 to spdif convertor.

I'm hoping this will be the solution I've been looking for.

There are two options for Win XP, Direct Sound and Kernel Streaming. Since I will be using primarily CD's ripped to Lossless WMA and 24/96 Flac files, I wonder wich will be best with my Cambridge DacMagic.

-Chas
Old 7th September 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Did you download the drivers from their website yet? You might also get foobar 2000 if you don't already have it and see what they recommend. They have plug in's for everything and they work! You might investigate earlier versions of Fidelizer too, just to see if version 1.0 or 2.0 will work on XP. Also investigate Genesis Audio, the speaker folks. Their CEO is an IT guy and has written a couple of very helpful papers on using PC's for music servers. Very helpful stuff.

Bud

Last edited by BudP; 7th September 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 7th September 2012, 05:51 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I've made the move to the DCX2496 and withsome of Jan's mods this piece will serve me very well as both a nearfield or dancehall setup. One thing though is that from my PC I have RCA spdif (75ohm) to the AES input of DSP. I've learned enough to know I need a transformer but can I in the short term get away with direct to the DCX? 2S2P
Old 7th September 2012, 09:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Rane published this document. Quite helpful in decoding all of the acronyms (my special weakness) and how they interconnect. The drawings come from somewhere.....

Bud
Attached Images
File Type: gif AES to SPDIF transformer and resistor network impedance match.gif (9.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: gif AES to SPDIF resistor network impedance match.gif (5.9 KB, 123 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Interfacing AES3 and SPDIF.pdf (129.9 KB, 15 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!