Wiring Car Speakers to Computer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2012, 02:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring Car Speakers to Computer

Hi,

First off I am new to all of this so forgive my ignorance. I am wanting to hook up some old Car Speakers (the ones in the front door) to my computer for use outside in my garage. My goal is to set up a volume control, outside, then the wires ran through my wall to the computer.

I know I need a Stereo Volume Control to hook the 2 speakers to, but then do I need a PCB to handle the Amp, power and then the cord from the board to the sound card on my computer? I was wondering if I could use the same kind of board hookup like this : http://web.media.mit.edu/~mellis/spe...structions.pdf
for what I want to do and just stick a Volume Control somewhere in there.

Any help would be great.

Chris
Old 14th August 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

I think all you is a small amp like this:

Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amp w/Power Supply 310-300

The only thing to watch for is the impedance of your speakers. Some car speakers are 2ohm and I'm guessing that this amp might trouble with anything under 4ohm.
Old 14th August 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the info, I may go that route as a last resort. This may sound silly, but I would much prefer to learn about the wiring soldering etc aspect of it all rather than buying a pre-fabed unit.

Is that something that would be relativity easy, or would it just be too much work for a beginner and the pre-fabed unit would be a better way to go.

Chris
Old 16th August 2012, 09:39 PM   #4
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

There are premade amp modules that you can buy. They need to be wired and put in a box, no soldering required. Sure electronics is one manufacturer.

Another more involved alternative is to buy an amp kit - the PCB board and components. Some come with instructions on how to put together but they might be challenging for a beginner. Audiosector.com is one place that offers such kits.

I suggest you post in the "Chipamp" or "Class D" section of this forum, the people there can direct you much better than I can.

Hide this!Advertise here!