Wiring Car Speakers to Computer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First off I am new to all of this so forgive my ignorance. I am wanting to hook up some old Car Speakers (the ones in the front door) to my computer for use outside in my garage. My goal is to set up a volume control, outside, then the wires ran through my wall to the computer.

I know I need a Stereo Volume Control to hook the 2 speakers to, but then do I need a PCB to handle the Amp, power and then the cord from the board to the sound card on my computer? I was wondering if I could use the same kind of board hookup like this : http://web.media.mit.edu/~mellis/speakers/fab-speakers-instructions.pdf
for what I want to do and just stick a Volume Control somewhere in there.

Any help would be great.

Chris

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the info, I may go that route as a last resort. This may sound silly, but I would much prefer to learn about the wiring soldering etc aspect of it all rather than buying a pre-fabed unit.

Is that something that would be relativity easy, or would it just be too much work for a beginner and the pre-fabed unit would be a better way to go.

Chris

There are premade amp modules that you can buy. They need to be wired and put in a box, no soldering required. Sure electronics is one manufacturer.

Another more involved alternative is to buy an amp kit - the PCB board and components. Some come with instructions on how to put together but they might be challenging for a beginner. Audiosector.com is one place that offers such kits.

I suggest you post in the "Chipamp" or "Class D" section of this forum, the people there can direct you much better than I can.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.