Optical player for PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
midyim is offline midyim  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Optical player for PC

Hi,

I need to get a unit that is good for Audio ripping, don't need to burn.

Suggestions? Preferably available in Australia, but I will import if needed.

Thks....eng hoe
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Models go in and out of production, so see what is available then google for reviews. Lite-on, LG, Pioneer, and Plextor are good bets. Or just test whatever drives are lying around the house or office and see which have the best features (like C2 error detection).

I believe there are significant unit-to-unit variations; I have one LG DVD rewriter that is particularly talented at reading damaged DVDs and CDs. If you run into a difficult CD (or DVD), try a bunch of drives and maybe you'll find one that gets a clean rip where the others fail. It obviously helps to have a convenient IDE to USB adapter and power supply. I tried a good dozen drives, including a couple of Plextors, and none were better than that LG.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Wombat is offline Wombat  Germany
diyAudio Member

General recommendations are hard to make. There is a list with some accuracy results about different drives at the dbpweramp forum but it is not exactly a complete list of all drives around.
CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2012
It may give you a hint what to expect especialy when using dbpoweramp for ripping. It doesnŽt take into account individual problem discs but it is most likely much more relevant as most user experiences that maybe know 5 different drives.

Since ripping results these days can easily verified against the AccurateRip database youŽll see it is very easy to do 100% correct rips with media in proper condition.
You can use dbpoweramp that has to be licensed or ExactAudioCopy and CUEtools that are free. All 3 check against the database.
I donŽt know what OS you use so this may not be relevant to you.
Old 6th August 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the suggestions.

It appears that PC units are pretty much of a muchness {at least statistically}.Unfortunately I cannot use AccurateRip as my CDs are analog rips {from vinyl}.

I am resigned to Real Time reripping hopefully the CD player {Pioneer PD-71} will last the distance.

I use Ubuntu Studio with Cdparanoia backend {Asunder & RipperX}

Thanks again...eng hoe
Old 6th August 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Wombat is offline Wombat  Germany
diyAudio Member

Imho there is no need for realtime ripping. Just use CDparanoia in Ubuntu. It will tell you when it has problems reading a media, these you can check by ear and still try another way if broken.
I once ripped several dics with rubyripper under Ubuntu that uses CDparanoia. A very comfortable piece of software.
Old 10th August 2012, 08:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Imho there is no need for realtime ripping. Just use CDparanoia in Ubuntu. It will tell you when it has problems reading a media, these you can check by ear and still try another way if broken.
I once ripped several dics with rubyripper under Ubuntu that uses CDparanoia. A very comfortable piece of software.
Yes, I do Real Time when "normal" ripping fails. Thanks for alerting me to Rubyripper...will give it a go @ my next session.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I used to be a big fan of Plextor because they were "The Best". All the tests and reviews said so. But I had so much trouble with Plextor drives that I switched to Lite-On and never looked back. Never a problem, ever. And that's burning or ripping 1000s of CD-Rom or CDs.

I use dBPowerAmp for ripping under Windows. CDBurnerXP for burning (tho I have not burned a CD in ages)

Hide this!Advertise here!