Home-build mini stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been doing some online research on building my own mini-stereo system. I would like the mini-stereo to do the following simple things:

1. Be operational all from a single 5"-7" LCD touch screen (no buttons, except power off/on) and remote control
2. Act as an alarm clock
3. Play music from USB or wifi network (no interest in AM/FM radio)

I have looked at a few options, like raspberry pi or mini-ITX, as a controller/motherboard connected to a decent DAC and have it powered by a class D amp. The speakers would be small 3" or 4" full ranges.

I am not a programmer, so I would need to find a bit of software that does the alarm clock and play music options.. all from a small touch screen.

The problem I have is their are lots of options, but pulling all the parts together looks tricky. I would love some guidance on my options.

If you go mini-ITX it would be very easy, free alarm clock and shutdown software can be downloaded and most motherboards support wake-on-lan and wake-at-(time of day). The computer and the amp can be powered from the same 12V power supply.

Finish with a USB touchscreen.

Sounds like the Chumby. Sony & Insignia make similar devices. (Sony Dash and Insignia NS-DP8CH came up when I searched eBay for Chumby just now.) You could find similar things lurking in liquidation stores, since this category of device hasn't been a huge success.

DVD players have more in them than an Apple TV and sell for under $20. Raspberry Pi is 1/3 the price of the Apple but can perform the same functions; just needs a remote control and power supply.

The Android PC has USB, so you could use a USB sound device, or presumably there's HDMI audio.

DVD players have more in them than an Apple TV and sell for under $20. Raspberry Pi is 1/3 the price of the Apple but can perform the same functions; just needs a remote control and power supply.
yeah raspberry pi would be great if it did what it claimed, for now it seems the usb hub is very limited in bandwidth and proper usb audio seems doubtful. last I read anyway

The Android PC has USB, so you could use a USB sound device, or presumably there's HDMI audio.
yes you would presume, but as with ipad the devices that it works with are VERY limited due to limited current available and having to act as host, while the device having to be able to act as slave, having to stay within the 100mA current limit, or be able to tell the android device it has its own power.

these are all issues that came up with ipad + the camera connection kit and all the anti apple pundits slagged apple for what is basically following the USB protocol, while having limited battery power to host with and a gaggle of users wanting longer battery life and more features with every generation.

dont get me wrong i'd love to see it a viable option with android as a standard, but its not high on the agenda of developers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.