Is it just me, or does Sox deemph overdo the de-emphasis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a thought: deemph is a low-pass shelving filter, exactly equivalent to 'treble -9.477 5283 0.4845s' (you can use the --plot option to check that the filter coefs are identical), so you could use 'treble -5 5283 0.4845s' for a 'halfway house' solution (or whatever peak attenuation value sounds best in this case).
Nice and simple idea to use the sox treble setting. I once tried several pre-emphsis samples and ended with this reasoning: YMMV
CD red book de-emphasis? - Page 4
So maybe someone wants to try these values with sox treble -9.31 5135 0.48
Would be even easier as to use the VST plugin and you should not have to worry about the VST Host dither and other probs.

What is the effect of Sox de-emphasis (or treble adjustment, or for that matter, level normalisation) on pre-existing dither? As Sox will re-dither when it truncates the data to 16-bit, is the low-level information that was encoded in the original dither fully retained?

The low-level information is encoded by the higher-frequency components introduced by the noise-shaping dither. IMO it will be lost when these ultrasonic components are eliminated by subsequent processing.

If someone thinks to dither the output does degrade the resulting file in any way you can of course tell sox to put it out as 24bit file.
Since nearly all recording won´t use the full 16bit even after de-emphasis i don´t do but people that are more concerned about it may try this.

WaveEmph doesn´t dither at all and uses linear filters afaik. The biquad sox uses for this HighShelf filter has the same phase behaviour as the analog de-emphasis unit. We can discuss if the phase does anything here but anything that WaveEmph does it does most likely worse as sox or the EQ i linked. If you hear it to be "better" i´d be surprised.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.