Any external soundcards with PCM4202? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any external soundcards with PCM4202?

Hi

I would like to be able to use the TI PCM4202 A/D converter on my PC so wonder if any of you know if there is an external & reliable soundcard that uses this chip? Unfortunately, I can't use the evaluation board from TI since it only records about 1 million samples.

I know of Korg's MR1000 but would like to find a cheaper alternative, if possible.

Inputs are appreciated ;-)

Best regards,

Jesper

Last edited by gentlevoice; 16th June 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

only records about a million samples and then what? 1 million samples at its highest bandwidth is considerably less than 10 seconds!! actually no, since you are talking about DSD its hardly enough to evaluate anything is it? I wonder where you are getting your information from? ive never heard of any eval board having a time limit. or do you mean 1million recordings?
Old 16th June 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
only records about a million samples and then what? 1 million samples at its highest bandwidth is considerably less than 10 seconds!! actually no, since you are talking about DSD its hardly enough to evaluate anything is it? I wonder where you are getting your information from? ive never heard of any eval board having a time limit. or do you mean 1million recordings?
Hi qusp,

I have asked TI support. It's not the evaluation board itself but the software - ADC Pro I think it's called - that only allows for 1024000 samples in one take. Takes can be assembled then but they may not be contiguous.

Best regards,

Jesper
Old 24th June 2012, 11:43 AM   #4
JensH is offline JensH  Denmark
diyAudio Member

How do you get the audio into the PC? If it is via SPDIF you can probably use any recording SW, e.g. Audacity. IF you want to use ASIO you cannot use Audacity though, since it does not support ASIO.
Old 24th June 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Audacity supports asio ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki , just cannot be distributed in binary form with asio compiled in due to asio licence. Or use a different OS which does not need a proprietary technology for basic tasks such as direct communication with soundcard drivers.
Old 24th June 2012, 09:45 PM   #6
JensH is offline JensH  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Right, I forgot to add the comment about the possible support for ASIO.
Old 25th June 2012, 06:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Jens,

I can see that you are Danish as well ;-)

Quote:
How do you get the audio into the PC?
This has been my problem all along - and somehow still is: How to get the signal from the PCM4202 - or any other AD converter into the PC.... I've asked around for an AES/EBU or SPDIF to firewire/USB converter that also has a supporting Windows software but either they have been "low" sample frequency devices (i.e. 96 kHz) or sound cards that in themselves are quite expensive. I haven't yet found a device that goes from an ADC & into the computer. Maybe you know of one?

Also, as for now I'm investigating some of the higher resolution alternatives like the ARDA AT-1201 or the ESStech ES9012 (I think it is) that allows for 12 MHz DSD &/or 384 kHz sampling, so I'm also looking outside of the PCM 4202...

Greetings,

Jesper
Old 25th June 2012, 06:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

P.S: It's not the ES9012 but the ES9102 ...

Jesper
Old 25th June 2012, 07:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Why not the PCM4222EVM? PCM4222 and PCM4202 are rather similar...
For 192kHz/24bit SPDIF input into PC - get the Infrasonic Quartet.
Old 25th June 2012, 08:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi - thanks for your reply, but as I noted in posts #1 & #3 I need an external soundcard (have a laptop) and the max Nos of samples in ADC PRO which is TI's software for their ADCs is 1024000 samples which is too little for me.

I'm also hoping to find at least a 384 kHz solution now ...

Greetings,

Jesper

Hide this!Advertise here!