Any external soundcards with PCM4202?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,

You may also find this upcoming ADC card from Twisted Pear Audio interesting:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/186722-es9102-adc-module.html

As I understand it is still "in the mold" but should be with a USB connection and 384 kHz/24 bit resolution. Don't know about the price though.

In case you are able to find a card based on the AT1201 from Ardatech that might also be interesting .. ? They do have an evaluation board but if I remember correctly it's about USD 600 and needs an interface to a PC.

BTW: Do you have a link to Dr. W Tempest's quote?

Best regards,

Jesper

Opinions? Someone else managed to interface well an ADC to a computer for audio measurements?

My reluctance of using just an emu 0204 or even the qa400 is the poor HF performance which makes them unusable above 30khz (when set at 192k)
I would like to do a 20k fft properly, and 19+20k imd.

IMO don't use an S-D based ADC where you're looking to make measurements related to audio SQ. SAR is the only way to go, but then you probably have to roll your own design. Plenty of affordable SAR ADC chips available though and 192kHz sample rate is a walk in the park with no HF distortion issues.

IMO don't use an S-D based ADC where you're looking to make measurements related to audio SQ. SAR is the only way to go, but then you probably have to roll your own design. Plenty of affordable SAR ADC chips available though and 192kHz sample rate is a walk in the park with no HF distortion issues.

Yeah, and some multibit products are? How many bits do I need?

The TI 4222 is partially multibit (along the lines of the 1794), would that be fine? I dont know anyone using it for audio still, but I saw it mentioned on quantum asylum website.

qusp I think you got confused between the ADC and the DAC from Arda. The ADC is very much extant and being used in Ayre's ADC (QA-9).

Multibit S-D is still pretty terrible to my ears in terms of noise modulation - here's an ADC chip you could look at LTC2376-18 - 18-Bit, 250ksps, Low Power SAR ADC with 102dB SNR - Linear Technology

To get the data into a computer you'd probably want a USB interface, perhaps the SDR widget guys have the right code?

The other thing not to forget is an AAF, not trivial designing one of these to be adequately transparent.

Multibit S-D is still pretty terrible to my ears in terms of noise modulation - here's an ADC chip you could look at LTC2376-18 - 18-Bit, 250ksps, Low Power SAR ADC with 102dB SNR - Linear Technology

To get the data into a computer you'd probably want a USB interface, perhaps the SDR widget guys have the right code?

The other thing not to forget is an AAF, not trivial designing one of these to be adequately transparent.

Interesting chip. For usb i was thinking at the minidisp usbstreamer, but it's limited to 192k, as all xmos based hardware. But that should be enough if the ADC is clean to a few khz.
"only" problem I see is the lack of even a reference board to start working with.

qusp I think you got confused between the ADC and the DAC from Arda. The ADC is very much extant and being used in Ayre's ADC (QA-9).

the chip is still vaporware as the company is kaput, guess ayre just bought some while they were available. no confusion, there were even a few for sale on here, I was tempted but the lack of any sort of development or support for FW was not appealing.

or did the company rise from the ashes to continue selling the ADC, while continuing to ignore emails?

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
FYI I recently communicated with one of the engineers at Ardatech and although the AT-1401 is delayed my guess would be that the company is ok. The Danish profusion distributor also indicates that it can deliver the AT-1201 (around December 1. 2012).

Best regards,

Jesper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.