Any external soundcards with PCM4202? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2012, 04:02 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
Why not the PCM4222EVM? PCM4222 and PCM4202 are rather similar...
For 192kHz/24bit SPDIF input into PC - get the Infrasonic Quartet.
I'm interested in the PCM4222EVM also but do not know how to interface the AES or S/PDIF outputs (or the DSD output) to my laptop with firewire and USB. There doesn't seem to be a box out there that does that.

Would this work:
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/usb.aspx

If you connect the PCM4222EVM S/PDIF output to this board it converts it to USB. I just don't know enough about digital audio to know for sure. The TI DAC used in the Twisted Pear board is only good for 16 bits/48kHz. crap.

Last edited by dirkwright; 19th August 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 19th August 2012, 04:37 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Nah, it won't work. They call it "receiver" as it receives "USB" and turns it into "SPDIF" or whatever. No SPDIF input.

Check out the miniDSP boards, there are some interensting, much better than beaten-to-death PCM thing.
I guess the TE7022 board should work up to 96k/16bit (or maybe even to 96/24), but you'd better ask them to be sure.

If you want 192kHz... then i'm lost (had to buy PCI card to make it work).
Old 19th August 2012, 06:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
Nah, it won't work. They call it "receiver" as it receives "USB" and turns it into "SPDIF" or whatever. No SPDIF input.

Check out the miniDSP boards, there are some interensting, much better than beaten-to-death PCM thing.
I guess the TE7022 board should work up to 96k/16bit (or maybe even to 96/24), but you'd better ask them to be sure.

If you want 192kHz... then i'm lost (had to buy PCI card to make it work).
Do you mean this board?
miniSTREAMER | miniDSP
It does look really good. thanks!

The PCM4222EVM board's serial output can be configured for I2S output, which can be connected to this minidsp board, or I could use one of the S/PDIF outputs for the minidsp board also. Ideas?

Last edited by dirkwright; 19th August 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've found this as well:

Welcome - Rigisystems

the USBPAL allows for 384 kHz/32 bits both ways and actually also for up to 1.536 MHz/32 bits, although I haven't yet been into how this is configurated.

Best regards,

Jesper
Old 20th August 2012, 12:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
Hi,

I've found this as well:

Welcome - Rigisystems

the USBPAL allows for 384 kHz/32 bits both ways and actually also for up to 1.536 MHz/32 bits, although I haven't yet been into how this is configurated.

Best regards,

Jesper
Whoa, that looks really nice. I bet it's not cheap though. Can you get a price?
Old 20th August 2012, 08:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Dirkwright,

The prices actually are on their website:

USB Audio - RigiSystems AG

.. at the bottom. I don't know though what the basis kit includes in terms of the RDK or SDKs for development.

Best regards,

Jesper
Old 21st August 2012, 02:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Dirkwright,

The prices actually are on their website:

USB Audio - RigiSystems AG

.. at the bottom. I don't know though what the basis kit includes in terms of the RDK or SDKs for development.

Best regards,

Jesper
OK, thanks. Too rich for me right now. I bought a miniStreamer from MiniDSP. It has I2S input and output to USB. I am hoping to connect the audio serial port on the PCM4222EVM to the miniStreamer for output to my laptop. Do you think this will work. Pete's interface will come in handy interfacing the audio gear with the PCM4222.
Old 22nd August 2012, 02:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you think this will work.
Hi, I'm not really a digital expert but from briefly reading on miniDSP's website it appears to accept I2S at 96 kHz and the PCM4222 outputs I2S as well. You apparently won't be able to use 192 kHz, though. When connecting things you should consider short distances, good cabling etc. - but maybe you already know this ...

Best regards,

Jesper
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi, I'm not really a digital expert but from briefly reading on miniDSP's website it appears to accept I2S at 96 kHz and the PCM4222 outputs I2S as well. You apparently won't be able to use 192 kHz, though. When connecting things you should consider short distances, good cabling etc. - but maybe you already know this ...

Best regards,

Jesper
Yeah, I know that the miniStream is limited to 96Khz. They have a more expensive one that does 192kHz. I was going to put both of them in the same box, so the connection would be just some short jumper wires. Here's a photo of the evaluation board. It apparently has awesome performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42222.JPG (154.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 30th January 2013, 12:27 AM   #20
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello, I'm also considering the pcm4222 evaluation board. From a quick read of the manual it is limited to 192khz, but can output in i2s format, other than spdif AES/EBU.
The usbstreamer seems the cheaper option available, although i2s connection must be short.

The best "sound card" usb interface I found is the yellowtec puc2 lite, which is only Aes in/out and the drivers and general build quality seems high. Cost is almost 400€, though.

Opinions? Someone else managed to interface well an ADC to a computer for audio measurements?

My reluctance of using just an emu 0204 or even the qa400 is the poor HF performance which makes them unusable above 30khz (when set at 192k)
I would like to do a 20k fft properly, and 19+20k imd.

Hide this!Advertise here!