Dummyś guide for audio with SLACKO puppy linux os

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would say the soundcard has the volume at max (127, 100%), but is muted (off)

Code:
Card hw:1 'L20'/'Luckit Luckit USB Audio 2.0 at usb-0000:00:1d.7-1, high speed'
  Mixer name	: 'USB Mixer'
  Components	: 'USB20a0:4143'
  Controls      : 4
  Simple ctrls  : 2
Simple mixer control 'Luckit Clock Selector',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Luckit Clock Selector',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]

Hi all
At least succeeded to check my WaveIO USB board, my PC, my file share, my Slacko Puppy and get Alsamixer working with a little help from my friends. Thanks to all who contributed. I've learned a lot, but still more to come !

I'am going now to work on my mpdpup distro I could not get up on my first trials, with much more confidence, and try to compare with slacko and why not other distros in the future.
Next step : the remote (;-)

BR
jean-Louis

When I go into the console and type in a play-l, I get a list of the sound cards, including the USB device that I am using.

But when I type in

#!/bin/bash
# script to outout the audio sample rate from card1/0
# usage example: sr 0 1 (where 0 is your card of choice and 1 is the subdevice)

cat /proc/asound/card$1/pcm0p/sub$2/hw_params

I get the message 'No such file or directory'.

And I haven't even found how to change the output yet.

When I go into the console and type in a play-l, I get a list of the sound cards, including the USB device that I am using.

But when I type in

#!/bin/bash
# usage example: sr 0 1 (where 0 is your card of choice and 1 is the subdevice)

I get the message 'No such file or directory'.

And I haven't even found how to change the output yet.

OK, sorry, I guess you need a little clarification.

Save the following to a file called "sr" in your /home/<username>/bin directory

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# usage example: sr 0 1    (where 0 is your card of choice and 1 is the subdevice)

and then do a "chmod 755 sr" to set it executeable.

Then you can run "sr" and give it the two numbers (card # and subdevice) of the card you want to get the details on like this:

> sr 0 0 (with spaces)(for card 0 subdevice 0) (the $1 and $2 are inputs with the command)

Thanks for your advice MrSlim but I'm afraid that I've given up with Slacko as I can't even get it to load any more. I get the message

'Kernal panic - not synching'

and it hangs there.

Free is nice (and I am grateful for the efforts of those who create this type of software) but all too often it involves an unacceptable learning curve, and huge loss of time. I'll be waiting for a Linux version that works, and can be optimally set up via a user interface that doesn't involve knowing how to program.

As your first encounter with linux you chose a niche distribution aimed at very experienced users with very specific requirements. Your effort was going to fail from the very beginning.

I've been using Ubuntu for four years now, so it was hardly my first encounter.

In the past I programmed in Basic and machine code, so I'm not exactly a complete novice.

Then you should be able to work out the problem with just a bit of effort. BTW, google is your friend and searching for error messages almost always yields a direct answer.

A simple search for https://www.google.cz/search?q=Kernel+panic+-+not+syncing shows that error message is followed by a description of the kernel panic cause. Further search for the complete error message will most likely give you the answer.

Look out for somebody getting rid of an older computer, add Slacko and a HiFace Two with a good DAC, and you have a budget hi-end source for no more than a mid-range CDP would have cost a few years back, but sounding oh so much better.

I have a pentium 4 PC idle, and will try this.

I am not familar with HiFace: Amazon.com: M2TECH hiFace Hi-End S/SPDIF Output Interface with RCA connector - EHIFACER: Computers & Accessories at $159, seem rather steep. I have a turtlebeach audioadvantage micro (older model) that plugs into USB port and output to optical as pictured (works as DAC). I have t-amp/speaker combo so I will try this. I am unsure if TB micro will be supported natively in linux.
by the way if my TB micro does not work, as recommendation on DAC?, do I have to have HiFace if I buy external DAC?

gychang

I also found another Puppy distro which is pre-customized as music server and can run from USB drive: mpdpup. I was about to test it last weekend, but could not be done due to other matters.

tried mpdpup, being not so linux smart, I got to mpd configuration (using usb stick boot), but can't seem to use my local HD as music storage. get confused with /mnt/music folder.

I may put in modem and see if I can get the another home linux PC (running crunchbang) folder be used as flac storage...

gychang

support for mpdpup

Hi gychang

If you have problem with the mpdpup, you'd better look for support on the original thread Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3 where Idolse and many others will help you. They did for me to solve minor issues and now works very very well.

For the other question, you do not need necessarily a hiface, any USB to SPDIF will work, some better, some less. WaveIO is recognized as an excellent interface.

Good Luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.