Dummyś guide for audio with SLACKO puppy linux os

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JLOP,

2 things to check initially:

1. Check 'alsa-mixer' and observe if soundcard has MM set for its output. If so press M and enjoy.

2. If no positive outcome from above or alsa-mixer returns and error, then try running 'alsa-info' and it will produce a text file and upload it for you, post a link or a copy of that text file here.

Chris

Hi nuuk,
click the + button and select folder rather than files.
This also depend on the programme used .
Jean, sorry i have no idea why your slacko puppy did not work. I tried it again last night and works well as stated in the first post.
You should follow what Chris suggest.
kp93300

I've been listening via Slacko most of the afternoon and am quite impressed.

I don't think that it digs out quite as much information, ie macro detail, as JPlay, but it comes a very close second. Given that it is free, and quite easy to use, and doesn't require major computer resources, I'd definitely recommend it.

Look out for somebody getting rid of an older computer, add Slacko and a HiFace Two with a good DAC, and you have a budget hi-end source for no more than a mid-range CDP would have cost a few years back, but sounding oh so much better.

Thanks again to everybody again for your help in getting Slacko running here. :)

One more question. Would Slacko run on a Raspberry Pi?

Slacko on Rasberry Pi

One more question. Would Slacko run on a Raspberry Pi?

Had the same question Nuuk, but I read somewhere they have had problems with the USB port. Don't know if it was solved.

Did you make any tuning on Slacko, maybe someone could wrap up if there are, I would not understand that it does not run as well as Win/Jplay. Did you use same HW, PSU,... ?

I have myself to come back to my tests hopefully tonight when I have a moment, Thanks KP and Chris for your suggestions

BR
Jean-Louis

Last edited:
Did you make any tuning on Slacko, maybe someone could wrap up if there are, I would not understand that it does not run as well as Win/Jplay. Did you use same HW, PSU,... ?

BR
Jean-Louis

No tuning of Slacko. Same laptop, PSU etc. Same USB lead etc.

I'm going to go back to JPlay again and have a listen. But even that sounds different in it's various modes, ie River, Beach and Xtreme.

I'm going to go back to JPlay again and have a listen. But even that sounds different in it's various modes, ie River, Beach and Xtreme.

Nuuk,
You might be interested in another puppy distro mpdpup. specifically configured for music using mpd, it has a low latency core that contains just the basics. You might see some of the detail missing in Slacko. I have not tried Slacko, so can't provide personal experience other than mpdpup very good relative to windows and slightly better than VoyageMPD IMO. Very quick to set up on a usb stick.

Nuuk, What music player are you using?

Have you checked that alsamixer is not resampling up to 48K (which is does by default)?

Outputting directly to the device should give you an improvement in the sound.

"aplay -l" (ell) will give you a list of your sound cards

DeadBeeF, for example displays the sample rate of the playing song, and you can then compare it to what's being output to the sound card with the following command

cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params (card1 and sub0 should be replaced by the Card/subdevice of your chosen sound card in aplay -l).

Here's a little one liner for lazy typers
I call it "sr" (sample rate)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# script to outout the audio sample rate from card1/0
# usage example: sr 0 1    (where 0 is your card of choice and 1 is the subdevice)

cat /proc/asound/card$1/pcm0p/sub$2/hw_params

Last edited:
Still stuck
*** In alsamixer set 00 with the key M on both play and capture. No change

*** This is what I get with PupSystemInfo, the Luckit board WaveIO is recognized it seems :

== USB DRIVES ===

Manufacturer=Generic
Product=Mass Storage Device
Serial Number=058F63666433

=== USB DEVICES ===

Manufacturer=Linux 3.1.10-slacko_4gA uhci_hcd
Product=UHCI Host Controller
SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.3
VendorID=1d6b ProductID=0001 KERNEL-DRIVER(builtin)=hub

Manufacturer=Broadcom Corp
Product=BT-270
SerialNumber=1C4BD6181F0B
VendorID=0b05 ProductID=1788 KERNEL-DRIVER(builtin)=(none)

Manufacturer=Linux 3.1.10-slacko_4gA ehci_hcd
Product=EHCI Host Controller
SerialNumber=0000:00:1d.7
VendorID=1d6b ProductID=0002 KERNEL-DRIVER(builtin)=hub

Manufacturer=Luckit
Product=Luckit USB Audio 2.0
SerialNumber=0330
VendorID=20a0 ProductID=4143 KERNEL-DRIVER(builtin)=(none)

Manufacturer=Generic
Product=Mass Storage Device
SerialNumber=058F63666433
VendorID=058f ProductID=6366 KERNEL-DRIVER(builtin)=usb-storage

Manufacturer=Azurewave
Product=USB2.0 UVC VGA WebCam
SerialNumber=200901010001
VendorID=13d3 ProductID=5702 KERNEL-MODULE=uvcvideo

JLOP,

2 things to check initially:

1. Check 'alsa-mixer' and observe if soundcard has MM set for its output. If so press M and enjoy.

2. If no positive outcome from above or alsa-mixer returns and error, then try running 'alsa-info' and it will produce a text file and upload it for you, post a link or a copy of that text file here.

Chris
The File is joined Chris. Hope you can read it

Thanks for helping
Jean-Louis

Attachments

• alsa-info.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 53
I have had a quick look through it and can't see anything obviously wrong, as you've said, not muted and the asound.conf file references the card & device produced by aplay -l. I will have a more detailed look tonight when I get home again. Perhaps others will have a chance to look before I get back.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.