Dummyś guide for audio with SLACKO puppy linux os

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I disabled the on board sound card in my pc.i do it via the bios setting.

I have switched over to linux mint 10 for a while because it sound better and more flexible. I do not have to configure the sound card at all.
Just download the OS and burnt it as an iso into a CD rom.

cheers

kp93300

Hi Nuuk
How different does it sound to windows & Ubuntu ?

Quite a bit but keep in mind Ubuntu is on a much older PC with 500 meg of RAM, and Slacko is on a more modern laptop with 2 gig of RAM.

On Slacko it sounds slightly 'darker with less background noise. There's a bit more detail too probably due to lowering the noise floor. On Ubuntu, the sound is more 'airy'.

Where will it ever end? :confused:

It'll never end until somebody develops a bloody DAC that is immune on PC induced distortions (noise and jitter).

The issues are known since years.

I started my "Linux Audio the way To go" thread in January 2007.

Nothing has changed ever since. People are still tweaking the PCs to get best sound from the DACs.

Though I have to admit: You can tweak any other OS that much that results are getting really close. I'm not sure if SQ would still be the driving factor to stay with Linux.

Linux/Android still comes with worst audio driver (and tools) support, as well as pretty poor application support. (You still can't buy a DAC of choice, if you run Linux. You buy what's supported). I still hope that driver support gets better with Android gaining weight.

To be honest. Beside my squeezebox environment which runs under Linux, I use JRMC - IMO the best multimedia app around. And with ram buffering and
wasapi event style it sounds pretty good too. You might run Fidelizer to tweak to W7 environment.

But again. An OS or an app or a PC shouldn't sound at all. The DAC only should make the music.

Different hardware will doubtlessly produce different sound, regardless of the software. If both distributions running on a single hardware are configured to be bitperfect, I very doubt you would be able to distinguish which one was booted in a blind listening test.

Well if you get the chance, try JPlay on W7/W8 and compare it with JRiver Jukebox on the same machine.

lol...with the references to JRiver...what a load of...
Linux and supported apps are free, as in no money parts my hand.
JRiver wants your money, "calls home" during use and to add insult to injury, third party sponsers are given your details and listening habits. If you want sponsered unconfigurable advertising on a user interface that is lightyears behind the freedoms, functionality and diversity offered by a Linux distro and supporting apps...go the way of JRiver.
...and while on a rant, sick of those trolls (same person) who scour the internet with key word searches and spam forums singing songs of praise to JRiver software...I get the same rubbish from a certain fishing reel manufacturer here in Oz., who uses different names in an assorted number of fishing forums and singing songs of praise about his fishing reel.
And as for using Puppy distro...which is the original topic to this post...I have used it and still do these past few weeks and even thanked the developers in their own forum.
Any problems with hardware, simply download the drivers from the repository rather than do what is suggested here and go the way of using Winblows and especially use it with the spamware, JRiver app.

Hi Linerds

At the end of the day, what is the difference between Slacko Puppy + MPD and mpdpup ? There must be some subleties I am not getting, but really newbie in Linux (;-) (currently trying to set up mpdpup).

Once you get the mpd rumming, for me on an Asus 1001PX, do you have clients that allows to select a song and see the covers on this same machine while playing or should I go to an iPad/iPhone app. If so which is the most convenient ?

Kind regards
jean-Louis

Access to Windows file server

8) Use the P mount / unmount programme to mount ( activate ) the drives that contain your audio files.
Hi KP

Thanks for the idea, I like it.

Install itself was very fast and without any problem, internet connection, sound, from the start.

The only little problem I got, for which I spent a couple of hours, was to access to my music files on my Windows XP server. I think it might be a common configuration
You may specify in 7' that you have to start a Samba share. For that
- go in the network menu on the top left
- Launch pnethood Samba shares, it scans all the available shares (which should have been declared in the XP first)
- enter user/pwd and connect to whatever shares you need

Pmusic works well, but I'd like to find an itunes like with artwork, and to find how to use iphone/ipad as remote. I have to dig :D

Kind regards

Since yesterday I also discovered Openelec including XBMC. Is it comparable to the two others in Audio quality ? Looks quite easy to install and update.

Thanks for your contributions !

Hi JLOP,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried many other flavours of Linux versions since then. Numerous versions of linux mint, ubuntu, opensusee, magiae , Deepin etc etc.

The latest is another slackware ie Salix OS. Salix is the only Salckware with 64 bit that I can find. Everything works after installation . It is very stable and new software installation is more flexible and easier.It uses less than 200mb of ram in use !

I thought 64 bit sound better with 32 bit OS.

I like Audacious player and installing it in the Slacko puppy linux is beyond me.

Give it a spin and let us know.

I will try Openelec also.

For others sitting on the fence of linux audio, I urge you to persevere in the early stage .
Once you get the feel of puppy linux, testing other linux distro with Live Cd is relatively easy.
The sound quality makes the effort is worth it .

cheers

kp93300

JLOP, MPD may also suit your requirements.

Openelec/xmbc audio chain has languished previously but has undergone a major revamp in the past twelve months. The next release should have much improved audio chain.

Here is probably the best summary of some of the new work that has happened - XBMC Audio goes HD | XBMC

I have not used openelec but I do compile the latest development branch of xbmc for my htpc - mostly used for tv/movies. After the improvements in the above blog there has been more work. There is now an xbmc setting that ensures that playback is not resampled, it must be set in the 'advancedsettings.xml' text file and isn't a gui option more details in the wiki - AudioEngine - XBMC.

These features really only exist in beta/development versions and not 'released' versions of openelec or xbmc. They work well if you have the time/inclination to live on the software bleeding edge but expect some bugs every now and then. After these versions are released I'd expect they will present a much better alternative for music library duties than they currently do.

JLOP, MPD may also suit your requirements.

That´s were i (tried to) made my first steps in Linux a week ago with mpdpup but i had problems with the install, probably screwed something. I gonna try again when i have some time, dont like to finish on a failure specially when people tell me it´s designed for the dumbs :confused:

I have to find the way to install the mpd on slacko and then maybe take out all the apps i dońt need for music, a la mpdpup

I'll try also the VLC, tks KP, you should start a thread comparing all these many distros, i have the feeling many of them may not have many resources supporting and developping them although claiming to be the best in the world.

I share hochopepper opinion that maybe the critical mass was reached for XBMC and it should be followed. But I aint going in the R&D Lab., i would break something ! <Symbol removed>

Cheers
Jean-Louis

:cop: Symbol reserved for moderation only.

No sound with WaveIO USB - Pb with ALSA Mixer ??

7) When the slacko puppy linux is running, go the bottom left hand corner and click the picture of the puppy to enter the set up menu and activate the Alsa sound wizard. Go through the 3 choices in the menu to get the sound. The third choice gives you an option to activate the driver for the external sound card . Click OK to exit. You will be prompted to reboot but i do not find it necessary if I have only one audio device detected by the bios .

Hi All

Configuration goes alright until that moment on my ASUS 1001PX. The WaveIO board is recognized as the sound card (only one as internal soundcard disconnected in BIOS) but I never got a sound. I tried the AlsaWizard several times unsuccessfully, even test sound will not go out.
The WaveIO works well with a Windows PC.
What should I do to have this thing working :confused: I must have missed something !

Kind regards
Jean-Louis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.