Dummyś guide for audio with SLACKO puppy linux os

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I installed Mpdup on an USB flash disk and managed to boot my Intel Atom D410 board with it. Boot up in about 30-40 second, it was able to recognize my Tenor based USB interface and the wizard helps a lot in configuring the mpd.

Being linux dummies, I must admit that it wasn't an easy ride as it took me almost a whole Sunday to figure out how to automatically mount my external USB hard drive (the culprit was NTFS on the external disk). And the BIOS seems confuse the booting process if it has several USB disk connected to it, so I'll order a compact flash to sata interface. Apart of the probelm with NTFS ext disk, it took only about 30 minutes from download to running.

Tested an Android mpd client and it seems to work OK.

I haven't tested the sound quality yet as a friend borrowed my amp. But I'm sure it has potential. It is almost magical to have an Intel machine runs 100% silent without any moving part inside (I uses PicoPSU with external DC block).

As soon as it can produce sound, I'll try to apply a realtime kernel on it. I really hope that it can beat my existing AMD E-350 machine with Win-7 + foobar + jplay.

Last edited:
I very much doubt you will gain any sonic improvement with the rt kernel. Technically there is no reason (at least I have never been able to identify any and nobody presented any either). Also I have never read about a credible listening test confirming any audible difference.

Extending the topic of suggested multimedia PCs, I wonder how Android TV boxes compare.

Android TV Box - Notebook, Tablet PC & MID
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They go for about $100, have pretty good CPUs, WIFI and HDMI. The onboard audio probably sucks but they all have USB ports which suggests they can be used with external DACs. I think they might be fanless as well. I'm not sure how Android handles USB audio but installing Linux should be able to turn those into some serious multimedia streamers.

---
*i'm not affiliated with the reseller linked here. just wanted to give a general idea of prices and features.

I found "linux Installer" on Google Play Store. It says that it will install Ubuntu variant on droid devices.

Mpdpup works with my onboard sound card and controlled via mpdroid on my smartphone. Nothing to talk about the SQ due to crappy onboard sound, but there's no reason why it won't work with external DAC.

Being a total Linux noob, I'm surprise about how easy to configure this and the author is very responsive in responding even the most stupid question. I really recommend this distro to everyone.

Last edited:
Hi i2k92,
can i install the mdp pup on a a local harddisk that is also the storage device ?
I have a standard atom based motherboard with harddisk , monitor , mouse and keyboard attached .
Keen to try it out also.
Can it output 24/192 signal for the usb xmos converter ?

thank

kp93300

Hi i2k92,
can i install the mdp pup on a a local harddisk that is also the storage device ?
I have a standard atom based motherboard with harddisk , monitor , mouse and keyboard attached .
Keen to try it out also.
Can it output 24/192 signal for the usb xmos converter ?

thank

kp93300

Selamat siang cik,

I think so, but install it on USB is more practical IMHO. So you can still keep your existing OS installation on the local hdd. Only plug the USB when you want to listen for good music adn you can still use the PC for anything else with your existing disk. If your local hdd is NTFS, there's a trick you can find here :Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2

You only need keyboard, mouse & monitor during the initial setup with the wizard. After that you can remove them all, control the playback from Windows client, Android or IOS.

I don't have XMOS but there are some posters on the forum above that use XMOS / WaveIO and most of them uses Alix boards which processor has lower spec than Atom, so Atom should be OK for hi-res.

XMOS is my target once I complete my ongoing DAC project. For now I use Tenor based USB board.

Hi
I need some instructions to change the setting of the ALSA mixer to output to 24/192 files.
I notice from the Aqualung player that even when playing 24/192 files, Slacko puppy linux is only outputting 16bit/44.1 khz to the usb soundcard.

Any simple instructions is much appreciated

Hi thisisvv,
The Slacko works like any OS . I plug a 1T usb harddrive and it is recognized straight away as a usb storage device .
It can be connected to the network via LAN cable or wireless wifi.
Hope this help.

thanks

kp93300

Yes indeed, the problem is : there's no stock anywhere. And any order from RS / Farnell will cost me at least 75$ for shipping only :(

From Element14, the current wait seems to be about 2 months. Have you checked lately on the shipping? There had been rumors in the past of some SNAFU (the 'Pi was apparently identified as a "special order only" item, hence a large service charge) but this has been resolved. I would be sorry to hear if it still applied in Indonesia.

Hi
I need some instructions to change the setting of the ALSA mixer to output to 24/192 files.
I notice from the Aqualung player that even when playing 24/192 files, Slacko puppy linux is only outputting 16bit/44.1 khz to the usb soundcard.

Hi thisisvv,
The Slacko works like any OS . I plug a 1T usb harddrive and it is recognized straight away as a usb storage device .
Hope this help.

thanks

kp93300

Thanks...thats what ia m looking for...i just got an pentium 4 1gb with no hard drive ...i hope to run this OS from USB hope can be done...

Hi

Hi thisisvv,
Hope this help.

thanks

kp93300

Don't know about Slacko, but the developer of mpdpup confirms to me that mpdpup is bitperfect and doesn't do any up/downsampling on its' default ocnfig.

The player might be bitperfect but alsamixer is not. If your player allows the selection of the output device you should configure it for direct access (example hw:0,0).
Use aplay -l to list your devices, or (if you don´t have alsa-utils installed) try
cat /proc/asound/cards

The player might be bitperfect but alsamixer is not. If your player allows the selection of the output device you should configure it for direct access (example hw:0,0).
Use aplay -l to list your devices, or (if you don´t have alsa-utils installed) try
cat /proc/asound/cards

To be exact, alsamixer is an ncurses application for manipulating alsa controls.

I would differentiate between dmix and plughw. Dmix is a stream mixer which resamples to common samplerate. In distributions without pulseaudio dmix is configured in standard alsa config to be the "default" device.

Using plain hw:x will cause problems if the player outputs sample format not compatible with the soundcard. E.g. Envy24 cards accept only S32_LE format. If the player tries to output S16_LE or S24_3LE to hw:X, alsalib will refuse and throw an error. Some players, e.g. MPD, check native formats supported by the soundcard first and convert to appropriate format automatically.

The same holds for channels count - there may be soundcards supporting e.g. only exactly 6 channels natively.

Therefore, I would suggest to use plughw instead of hw. The format up-conversion is bitperfect and the plugin eliminates chances of hitting an error. If the soundcard supports the requested samplerate, the plugin does nothing else.

Hi all

Am discovering Slacko & Puppy, much interesting as LINUX Dummy:headshot: I am thinking of a music server to feed my SPDIF coax DAC.

Question : can Slacko run a kinda of simplified NAS in // to mpd ? I would like to avoid investing on a NAS and would consider to have my HDD on the slacko system, but I need to see them from my windows 7 PCs, Ipad, Iphone and make backup on an external HDD.

Besides that, any news of running on MELE and RPi or equivalent ?

Best regards

Jean-Louis

I've managed to get Slacko up and running from a CD and carefully followed the excellent instructions given by the OP. However, when I run the ALSA wizard no sound devices are shown to choose so I can't use the MHDT Stockholm DAC that is attached.

The DAC was attached, connected, and powered up before I booted the computer so can anybody please suggest what to try next. I have already tried re-booting a couple of times with the same results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.