Dummyś guide for audio with SLACKO puppy linux os - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2012, 01:59 AM   #31
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi
I need some instructions to change the setting of the ALSA mixer to output to 24/192 files.
I notice from the Aqualung player that even when playing 24/192 files, Slacko puppy linux is only outputting 16bit/44.1 khz to the usb soundcard.

Any simple instructions is much appreciated

Hi thisisvv,
The Slacko works like any OS . I plug a 1T usb harddrive and it is recognized straight away as a usb storage device .
It can be connected to the network via LAN cable or wireless wifi.
Hope this help.

thanks

kp93300
Old 26th June 2012, 05:05 AM   #32
exp jst is offline exp jst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
Yes indeed, the problem is : there's no stock anywhere. And any order from RS / Farnell will cost me at least 75$ for shipping only
From Element14, the current wait seems to be about 2 months. Have you checked lately on the shipping? There had been rumors in the past of some SNAFU (the 'Pi was apparently identified as a "special order only" item, hence a large service charge) but this has been resolved. I would be sorry to hear if it still applied in Indonesia.
Old 27th June 2012, 05:19 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi
I need some instructions to change the setting of the ALSA mixer to output to 24/192 files.
I notice from the Aqualung player that even when playing 24/192 files, Slacko puppy linux is only outputting 16bit/44.1 khz to the usb soundcard.

Hi thisisvv,
The Slacko works like any OS . I plug a 1T usb harddrive and it is recognized straight away as a usb storage device .
Hope this help.

thanks

kp93300

Thanks...thats what ia m looking for...i just got an pentium 4 1gb with no hard drive ...i hope to run this OS from USB hope can be done...
Old 27th June 2012, 07:36 AM   #34
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp93300 View Post
Hi

Hi thisisvv,
Hope this help.

thanks

kp93300

Don't know about Slacko, but the developer of mpdpup confirms to me that mpdpup is bitperfect and doesn't do any up/downsampling on its' default ocnfig.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:00 PM   #35
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

The player might be bitperfect but alsamixer is not. If your player allows the selection of the output device you should configure it for direct access (example hw:0,0).
Use aplay -l to list your devices, or (if you donīt have alsa-utils installed) try
cat /proc/asound/cards
Old 27th June 2012, 12:37 PM   #36
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
The player might be bitperfect but alsamixer is not. If your player allows the selection of the output device you should configure it for direct access (example hw:0,0).
Use aplay -l to list your devices, or (if you donīt have alsa-utils installed) try
cat /proc/asound/cards
To be exact, alsamixer is an ncurses application for manipulating alsa controls.

I would differentiate between dmix and plughw. Dmix is a stream mixer which resamples to common samplerate. In distributions without pulseaudio dmix is configured in standard alsa config to be the "default" device.

Using plain hw:x will cause problems if the player outputs sample format not compatible with the soundcard. E.g. Envy24 cards accept only S32_LE format. If the player tries to output S16_LE or S24_3LE to hw:X, alsalib will refuse and throw an error. Some players, e.g. MPD, check native formats supported by the soundcard first and convert to appropriate format automatically.

The same holds for channels count - there may be soundcards supporting e.g. only exactly 6 channels natively.

Therefore, I would suggest to use plughw instead of hw. The format up-conversion is bitperfect and the plugin eliminates chances of hitting an error. If the soundcard supports the requested samplerate, the plugin does nothing else.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:52 PM   #37
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Yes itīs dmix not alsamixer, you are correct. As for plughw, thankīs for the information,
thatīs good news.
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:59 PM   #38
JLOP is offline JLOP  France
diyAudio Member

Hi all

Am discovering Slacko & Puppy, much interesting as LINUX Dummy I am thinking of a music server to feed my SPDIF coax DAC.

Question : can Slacko run a kinda of simplified NAS in // to mpd ? I would like to avoid investing on a NAS and would consider to have my HDD on the slacko system, but I need to see them from my windows 7 PCs, Ipad, Iphone and make backup on an external HDD.

Besides that, any news of running on MELE and RPi or equivalent ?

Best regards

Jean-Louis
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:56 PM   #39
adelias is offline adelias  Greece
diyAudio Member

mpd runs fine on Mele, I'm running Debian on it. I would avoid RPi, it has issues with its USB driver which make it problematic when used with USB audio devices.
Old 27th August 2012, 05:23 PM   #40
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've managed to get Slacko up and running from a CD and carefully followed the excellent instructions given by the OP. However, when I run the ALSA wizard no sound devices are shown to choose so I can't use the MHDT Stockholm DAC that is attached.

The DAC was attached, connected, and powered up before I booted the computer so can anybody please suggest what to try next. I have already tried re-booting a couple of times with the same results.

Hide this!Advertise here!