Trouble getting MPD db to update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to VoyageMPD and attempting to sort out anomolies with MPD DB.
I use WAV files ripped with EAC on a WDLivebook NAS. I have mounted the NAS with CIFS and have mpd.conf pointed to the NAS for most of its files.

music_directory "/music1/Music"
playlist_directory "/music1/MPD/Playlists"
db_file "/music1/MPD/mpd.db"
log_file "/music1/MPD/mpd.log"
pid_file "/music1/MPD/mpd.pid"
state_file "/music1/MPD/mpdstate"

Voyage sees the files and they all have RW privileges.

root@voyage:/music1/MPD# ls -l
total 1984
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 13 2012 Playlists
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6984 Apr 13 2012 bkmpd.db
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6984 Apr 11 2012 mpd.db
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1873479 Apr 14 2012 mpd.log
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 16 2012 mpd.pid
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2180 Jan 2 11:06 mpdstate
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 11 2012 sticker.sql
root@voyage:/music1/MPD#

I can see the music_directory in GMPC. After booting up, MPD searches the directory for about 5 mins and then the directory structure displays correctly and the WAV files can be played. (sound is excellent).

2 strange anomolies.

First, MPD only sees about 75% of the WAV files. In some cases 100% of files will show, in others every other file is missing even thought it is on the NAS.

Second issues is the db_file never updates. It still contains the list of songs that were on the usb stick I first put in the ALIX to test sound. When I removed the USB stick and set MPD to use /music/Music,
It refused to update the Tag_cache file. I pointed MPD db_file my NAS directory it would not create a new db. So I copied the tag_cache file to mpd.db on the NAS. It still does not update the file. When I first boot VoyageMPD the MPD client sees the old mpd.db file contents. It thinks there is still the usb stick exactly as I used it that first time. After running an update that takes 5 mins, it sees the directory of the /music/Music directory.

Any ideas on what I would need to do to get MPD to update the db_file?

Any ideas why MPD only sees a subset of the files on my NAS?

The NAS is formated with NTFS. Some have suggested Linux prefers FAT32. Lots of posts suggest running mpc -createdb, but I understand this has been depreciated. I understand that mpc update should cause mpd to delete old entries from db file and create new ones. But no luck :confused:

Thanks Ian
I have asked it to update in every possible way.
The db updated the first time when I was reading music from USB0. It still has that information. So when I first start MPD the directory appears as reflected in the db. I just can't get it to reupdate. The update runs and after 5 mins the directory shows correctly and I can play music. But the db or tag_cache as some call it has not been written. Permissions appear correct. Clearly it reads the db, but refuses to write it. I have gone in and edited the db manually to remove songs. This is reflected in GMPC but again MPD does not update to reflect the new music_directory. I remain baffled:confused:

Do you have all the necessary permissions set up for mpd to write inside the new /music1/* directory structure?

What I have done is kept the default Voyage mpd directory structure (/var/lib/mpd/*), and then mounted my NAS as /var/lib/mpd/music/nas.

BTW, after rescanning the database, it is better to use command line or web interface to reboot the box once - it will commit the changes to the disk before reboot.

Regarding the missing songs, did you mount your CAS with iocharset=utf8?

Good luck!

Pink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.