Buying new soundcard, need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I am pretty much new to your forums, but i know already a thing or two about audio setups and audio stuff.

Curently i have Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series, but since my friend wants that card and i'm kinda thinking about new one.

My best picks by now are:
-ASUS Xonar Essence ST(170€) + H6(44€)
-Auzentech X-Meridian 2G 7.1 (130€)

I am using souncard for:
-gaming(30%)
-music (50%)
-movies(20%)

I also tested out Xonar, i like the sound but i dont like the price on first spot, and idea of beiing forced to use additional card to get out 6channel support.

Auzentech looks good on paper, great price and all, but im wondering if its worth going from creative to another creative based card, will there be big difference, if any?

My sound card is allmost all the time connected to Yamaha RX-V420RDS through chinches. Tried also SPDIF on Xonar ST, Realtek, and current Creative, but it doesnt want to work on 6channels, only 2.
When its not connected to Yamaha, then it is Nordmende PA-1002 with Fisher speakers. I also use headphones, but only on LAN partyes or when we play games with friends online.

I use windows most of the time(90%), but also have installed linux and know how to use it. For playback i use foobar 2000 with channel mixer

I'm planning to replace OP-AMPs on both of those cards for LME49720HA probably exept bass channel offcourse, for bass there are better opamps on market. On Auzentech those caps bother me, this means i plan to replace them if i buy it. And/or any other mods mentioned here.

So what would be better sound card for me to buy and why? Or do you guys recommend any other sound card on market?

EDIT: added player.

Last edited:
Given your (fairly modest) demands, the cheapest decent card with either native 44.1 kHz or good resampling is likely to be good enough. Even a Xonar DG. It still gets measurably better than that, of course, and a D2(X) supports a maximum amplitude of 2 Vrms rather than 1 Vrms on the lesser models - but you'd never be able to tell a difference in a proper (level-matched double-blind) listening test. Same, incidentally, goes for opamp rolling, unless one gets the circuit to oscillate.

Your highest priority should be making sure that the drivers for whatever you're getting are not from the "pile of poo" department (good hardware let down by poor drivers has been a recurring thread in soundcards ever since the '90s) and do what you want them to do.

If you are using Linux Check the ALSA Project's website for the list of cards that they support,and stay away from any of the USB type sound cards as well!!
Many are having problems the the USB types by not somtimes working and stopping to even not working at all even it is listed as a supported card.

Try to stick with the same resolution or better as you will notice the difference if you should get one that is lesser than the X-FI card that you are already used to.

I can tell the difference between my 24 bit cards and my 16 bit cards in a Big Way ,and, I rarely fire up any machines that I have that uses a 16bit card just because I don't like how they sound anymore .

Jer :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.