High-level system design question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2012, 04:05 PM   #11
vputz is offline vputz  United States
diyAudio Member

Mayhem-- since the HTPC will be Linux based, both bluray and streaming services like netflix can be problematic, plus I do (very rarely) actually use the silly console for gaming. So it's just easier if I have the ABILITY to switch to an external source like the PS3.

Still looking at the 1010; they occasionally show up on ebay for a reasonable price. Not much time to invest in this at the moment, though, so we'll see.
Old 15th May 2012, 12:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Look into pro audio interfaces, you're on that track anyways looking at the M-Audio. Multi-outs and ins, sp/dif, firewire, usb, etc. Depending on how the software is setup they can switch between sources. Better sq and build quality than a typical soundcard as well IMO. Definitely more $$$ ($500+) though and then you need to make some cables........not sure what works with Linux.

I just received a 12-channel interface from Echo Audio, super easy to setup and a solid unit. Purely analog in and out, though they do have other models with more connectivity. Solid driver support as well.

Last edited by natehansen66; 15th May 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: didn't see linux req
Old 15th May 2012, 08:12 AM   #13
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I have just used an old parallel port switch data port switch | eBay to make a simple integrated aplifier (tripath) with input selector. Those boxes contain a nice 3/4 x 24 rotary switch. Capable of switching 24 channels at once :-) Serial port switches can do 8(9?) channels.

Maybe this is the way to go, instead of fighting the sound card route :-)
Old 15th May 2012, 08:33 PM   #14
vputz is offline vputz  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the idea, phofman, but since I was hoping to use the PC as preamp, I wanted to do the switching (and maybe 5.1 decoding) in software. This would at least let me use a "single line in" to the sound card and switch between inputs that way, but I'm going to toy with the idea a bit more just in case...
Old 11th June 2012, 01:14 AM   #15
nowhere is offline nowhere  Israel
diyAudio Member

Since this is a DIY forum - why not build a relay-based switching board controlled from, say, parallel port ?

Trivial in both HW and SW senses.
Old 15th January 2013, 01:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vputz View Post
Mayhem-- since the HTPC will be Linux based, both bluray and streaming services like netflix can be problematic, plus I do (very rarely) actually use the silly console for gaming. So it's just easier if I have the ABILITY to switch to an external source like the PS3.

Still looking at the 1010; they occasionally show up on ebay for a reasonable price. Not much time to invest in this at the moment, though, so we'll see.
Curious if you went with the 1010LT.

Hide this!Advertise here!