Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2012, 12:04 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

What's the point? Just use a compatible player!
As for youtube and other streamed audio sites... is pointless to use ASIO because the audio quality is low anyway.
Old 5th May 2012, 01:40 AM   #12
Billyo is offline Billyo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes, but why make it worse by replaying thru k-mixer?

Streaming stuff gives me an almost unlimited music collection that I love to explore in.
Old 5th May 2012, 02:01 AM   #13
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I use ASIO when real ASIO drivers are available. Otherwise kernel streaming seems to be just as good. Both can do bit perfect.
Old 5th May 2012, 06:01 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can't understand why even the ASIO plugin help page says it won't help - on my system, which is pretty standard, it makes a huge difference.
My m-audio 1010lt soundcard supports native asio, and I run it for reasons of convenience (not using window's mixer, only the m-audio mixer) in conjunction with foobar200 asio output - real Asio, bypassing window's for years w/o problem.
I have compared both switching directly and I cannot hear a difference at all.

I upsample to 48kHz in foobar2000, and the signal is fed direct to a hypex amp (built into my speakers) via SPDIF where it is converted to analogue feeding kef 104/2.

The TV audio signal (from sat. receiver) enters the spdif input of the soundcard, and also bypasses window's mixer.

Only streaming audio is using the window's stack.

I also have used wasapi, and still cannot hear a difference between asio, direct sound and wasapi.
I have to assume following the logic of the golden eared ones that my system simply is not revealing enough...said.
Old 5th May 2012, 01:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

If you're using Win7, just go with WASAPI. Also bypasses kmixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyo View Post
How about using the HDMI out from the videocard? I use a ATI HD5450 chipset to output to my TV, does audio from that still go thru k-mixer?

Also, has anyone tried using Vitual Audio Cable to allow non-ASIO compatible apps to bypass K-mixer and go to ASIO4ALL?
Old 5th May 2012, 10:36 PM   #16
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

I notice a pronounced difference between DirectSound and ASIO.
In certain cases the Windows 7 mixer will pass bit perfect audio. I can't tell a difference between ASIO and the Windows7 mixer on my computer but I didn't run exhaustive tests.

audio-kraut, upsampling will change the original sound, most likely degrading the quality. You should not compare sound with the upsampling on.
Old 5th May 2012, 11:32 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

DirectSound will upsample the audio samplerate to whatever is reported in Windows mixer as capability of soundcard:

Policy for Sample Rate Conversion of Audio Streams
Quote:
•DirectSound clients

For rendering streams, the Windows multimedia control panel (Mmsys.cpl) gives a user some control over which type of SRC the KMixer driver uses with DirectSound. The slider shown in the Advanced Audio Properties dialog (see DirectSound Hardware-Acceleration and SRC Sliders) assigns the settings Good through Best to linear interpolation, multipoint interpolation, and high-end multipoint interpolation, respectively. Linear interpolation is the default for the DirectSound versions that ship with Microsoft Windows 98/Me and Windows 2000. In Windows XP and later, the default is high-end multipoint interpolation.
For DirectSound capture streams, KMixer always uses high-end multipoint interpolation.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:27 AM   #18
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

I saw somewhere a diagram describing how DirectSound works. It showed it going through the Windows mixer! It's speed comes from bypassing the Windows Kernel and using hardware acceleration on supported devices. It doesn't guarantee bit perfect playback.

I see absolutely no reason to use DirectSound for hi-fi.
Old 6th May 2012, 01:06 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
audio-kraut, upsampling will change the original sound, most likely degrading the quality. You should not compare sound with the upsampling on.
I do not agree (most studio productions runs afaik 48 or 96kHz processing) however it simply is not an issue in my case as the AS 2.100 hypex amp has a build in DAC that upsamples to 48kHz anyway for DSP processing ( I use the hypex software controlling the DAC to crossover <50Hz to a subwoofer).
Old 12th May 2012, 01:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyo View Post
Directing the audio through the ASIO output rather than the onboard Realtek sound just blew me away with the difference in quality.
If the difference is that big, I'd be inclined to think that either some sort of effects was enabled or you stumbled across this bug in Win7 which gives horrible quality when output from the MME (waveOut) API has to be resampled. Or, of course, volume for the digital output was not maxed out.

Output via DSound can be just fine, it's just more fussy to use as you have to keep track of sample rates and adjust output device properties accordingly if you want to avoid resampling. WASAPI in exclusive mode, as used by Foobar's WASAPI plugin or ASIO4All, allows automagic sample rates switching like in the olden days.

Hide this!Advertise here!