diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Best Audio Enhancement software? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/211752-best-audio-enhancement-software.html)

Billyo 29th April 2012 08:16 AM

Best Audio Enhancement software?

Although I'd love to be an audiophile purist and be satisfied with a flat equaliser, to my ears audio enhancement software running on my PC just before going to a TK2050 amp (no equalizer at all) does wonders for my perception of the sound quality.

There are a few out there

Soundpimp
DFX Audio Enhancer
Digital Powerstation
SRS Audio Essentials

I've tried DFX Audio and Digital Powerstation, but wondering whether anyone's tried Soundpimp (they dont have a demo)

I assume that mostly they just put a more attractive equalization profile on the output sound and perhaps a bit of dynamic intelligence around the equalization, but there is very little info on the sites as to how they work.

Soundpimp looks interesting, claims to reduce speaker crosstalk.

Does anyone know of any others? Or have an opinion on which is "best"?

fastbike1 3rd May 2012 03:50 PM

Have you looked at something like Jriver Media Center or dbPoweramp as an all in one solution? Besides the media player / library features, both (and other similar programs) have an array of dsp options for the output.

Several folks even use these options for active crossovers to pc speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyo (Post 3005057)
Although I'd love to be an audiophile purist and be satisfied with a flat equaliser, to my ears audio enhancement software running on my PC just before going to a TK2050 amp (no equalizer at all) does wonders for my perception of the sound quality.

There are a few out there

Soundpimp
DFX Audio Enhancer
Digital Powerstation
SRS Audio Essentials

I've tried DFX Audio and Digital Powerstation, but wondering whether anyone's tried Soundpimp (they dont have a demo)

I assume that mostly they just put a more attractive equalization profile on the output sound and perhaps a bit of dynamic intelligence around the equalization, but there is very little info on the sites as to how they work.

Soundpimp looks interesting, claims to reduce speaker crosstalk.

Does anyone know of any others? Or have an opinion on which is "best"?

Billyo 4th May 2012 10:54 AM

The thing is, that I like to stream all of my music from the likes of grooveshark or zune.

So it needs to be be able to process all audio, not just from a dedicated player.

fastbike1 5th May 2012 02:17 PM

I'm pretty sure Jriver can/will process everything you designate. Certainly works for CD/DVD/PC Video as well as music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyo (Post 3011319)
The thing is, that I like to stream all of my music from the likes of grooveshark or zune.

So it needs to be be able to process all audio, not just from a dedicated player.

Kyrre 29th October 2012 06:07 PM

Soundpimp

The website for SoundPimp does have a demo page available from the frontpage, but there is an even more interesting demo in the (only) newsletter Newsletter no.1 2012 | SoundPimp computer audio enhancer. Extremely wide stereo beyond speakers!

But it isn't an Equalizer except for a small bass boost on/off. The technology is amazing and is explained How SoundPimp works | SoundPimp computer audio enhancer

I have tried the DFX trial, but that is a different effect with traditional equalizer etc.

rgds

gazza49 30th October 2012 09:21 PM

Soundpimp sounds interesting,but looks very similar to Ambiophonics,how far apart are you placing your speakers apart.
thanks Gary

gazza49 15th November 2012 04:13 PM

HI,I BOUGHT SOUNDPIMP BUT HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO GET IT TO WORK WITH JACKAUDIO.OR SOUNDFLOWER ON MAC MOUNTAIN LION 10.8,ANYONE KNOW OF ANOTHERAUDIO ROUTER LIKE JACK.
THANKS GARY

Globulator 23rd November 2012 08:15 PM

The software I use is Seedeclip.

The interface it a bit antiquated I'm afraid, and it's happiest working on .wav files in batch mode.

But for almost all popular CDs made after about 1995 it is very useful, as most of those are clipped, not just compressed. I wrote it as my DAC didn't like clipping, and it does make the music much more listenable.

Not a lot of people realise how bad CD quality is these days - rip a CD and look at the waveforms if you want an unpleasant shock!!

natehansen66 24th November 2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastbike1 (Post 3012610)
I'm pretty sure Jriver can/will process everything you designate. Certainly works for CD/DVD/PC Video as well as music.

It definitely does. It can also host VST plugins. It doesn't come up with EQ profiles for you though.

sandyK 24th November 2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

But for almost all popular CDs made after about 1995 it is very useful, as most of those are clipped, not just compressed
Unfortunately. even Graham's SeeDeClip Duo Pro can't salvage some recent garbage from the likes of Record Producer T-Bone Burnett with a recent release with Diana Krall.
Recently I heard an uncompressed track from "Shelby Lynne-Just A Little Lovin' " but the CD that I ordered after hearing it, turned out be a "Loudness Wars" re-release.
I did a batch convert using SeeDeClip Duo Pro and then normalised it to -1dB peak in Sound Forge 9 and the result was at least as good as the title track that I had saved, and very close indeed to a PS3 rip of the SACD that I had found.
Alex