Best Audio Enhancement software?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although I'd love to be an audiophile purist and be satisfied with a flat equaliser, to my ears audio enhancement software running on my PC just before going to a TK2050 amp (no equalizer at all) does wonders for my perception of the sound quality.

There are a few out there

Soundpimp
DFX Audio Enhancer
Digital Powerstation
SRS Audio Essentials

I've tried DFX Audio and Digital Powerstation, but wondering whether anyone's tried Soundpimp (they dont have a demo)

I assume that mostly they just put a more attractive equalization profile on the output sound and perhaps a bit of dynamic intelligence around the equalization, but there is very little info on the sites as to how they work.

Soundpimp looks interesting, claims to reduce speaker crosstalk.

Does anyone know of any others? Or have an opinion on which is "best"?

Have you looked at something like Jriver Media Center or dbPoweramp as an all in one solution? Besides the media player / library features, both (and other similar programs) have an array of dsp options for the output.

Several folks even use these options for active crossovers to pc speakers.

Although I'd love to be an audiophile purist and be satisfied with a flat equaliser, to my ears audio enhancement software running on my PC just before going to a TK2050 amp (no equalizer at all) does wonders for my perception of the sound quality.

There are a few out there

Soundpimp
DFX Audio Enhancer
Digital Powerstation
SRS Audio Essentials

I've tried DFX Audio and Digital Powerstation, but wondering whether anyone's tried Soundpimp (they dont have a demo)

I assume that mostly they just put a more attractive equalization profile on the output sound and perhaps a bit of dynamic intelligence around the equalization, but there is very little info on the sites as to how they work.

Soundpimp looks interesting, claims to reduce speaker crosstalk.

Does anyone know of any others? Or have an opinion on which is "best"?

Soundpimp

The website for SoundPimp does have a demo page available from the frontpage, but there is an even more interesting demo in the (only) newsletter Newsletter no.1 2012 | SoundPimp computer audio enhancer. Extremely wide stereo beyond speakers!

But it isn't an Equalizer except for a small bass boost on/off. The technology is amazing and is explained How SoundPimp works | SoundPimp computer audio enhancer

I have tried the DFX trial, but that is a different effect with traditional equalizer etc.

rgds

The software I use is Seedeclip.

The interface it a bit antiquated I'm afraid, and it's happiest working on .wav files in batch mode.

But for almost all popular CDs made after about 1995 it is very useful, as most of those are clipped, not just compressed. I wrote it as my DAC didn't like clipping, and it does make the music much more listenable.

Not a lot of people realise how bad CD quality is these days - rip a CD and look at the waveforms if you want an unpleasant shock!!

But for almost all popular CDs made after about 1995 it is very useful, as most of those are clipped, not just compressed
Unfortunately. even Graham's SeeDeClip Duo Pro can't salvage some recent garbage from the likes of Record Producer T-Bone Burnett with a recent release with Diana Krall.
Recently I heard an uncompressed track from "Shelby Lynne-Just A Little Lovin' " but the CD that I ordered after hearing it, turned out be a "Loudness Wars" re-release.
I did a batch convert using SeeDeClip Duo Pro and then normalised it to -1dB peak in Sound Forge 9 and the result was at least as good as the title track that I had saved, and very close indeed to a PS3 rip of the SACD that I had found.
Alex

If you go to the website and submit a bug report - tell us about OS, sound card used, and any other enhancement SW used, we can take a look at it. Haven't seen this particular bug before, especially the echoes. Also a new release is out, but since we didn't know about these issues, not sure it will help.

I use SRS HD Audio Lab - Digital Powerstation - DFX Audio Enhancer combined.

I tried AstoundSound and Hear. They are decent but cause distortion and not working very well with other enhancers.

Some other software i know are iZotope Ozone, Breakaway Audio Enhancer and Virtual Audio Streaming. They are really hard to use and not very good at all.

I really wonder about SoundPimp. It is very expensive compared to others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.