Ripping CD's in Safemode sounds much better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an experiment, I tried ripping a familiar CD whilst my computer was in safemode.

When I played it back, I found that the music had incredible detail, and tone, depth, and clarity, much more so than any rip I had done before.

I had already ripped this same CD before, with my PC running in "normal" mode, so I was able to compare the safemode rip, to the normal rip. Both rips were done using EAC. Both files had the same checksum. Both files were the same size. Both files sounded different!

Both files were ripped as .wav files. Both files played back using the same software. Both files played back at the same amplitude (no touching the volume knob)

Please try for yourself, then please discuss.

FWIW, I am aware that none of this should make any difference.
But, it does.

Instructions for starting your XP operating system in safemode here

Critiscism from those who don't try it will be counterproductive, so please refrain until you try it.

Recently a few people have been doing CD rips using Fidelizer to stop non essential Windows services during extraction.The results have been reported to sound better when uploaded, by quite a few people including a co-developer of the Windows software player "jPlay", which plays music files from system memory. I have also tried using Safe Mode with Windows 7 after Erin suggested that I try it, with a further noticeable improvement over using Fidelizer.
An interesting thing when using Safe Mode with Windows 7, is that the Processor fan's speed is no longer controlled by PWM pulses from the motherboard, and runs at the same speed as at startup.
It is quite easy to try what Erin is suggesting. With Windows 7 just hold down F8 as the bios screen closes.If using EAC when ripping a complete CD, just tick the option to shut down the PC after extraction is completed.
SandyK

Hi Pano, the difference is how they sound when played back.

If possible please try my suggestion, and then report your findings.

I am not trying to sell anything. I am making a contribution to DIY audio, by reporting my findings of the experiment outlined in my original post.

Regards,
Erin

I've been ripping CD's since 1998 on a Pentium 166 and actually paid for Audiograbber. With the OLD machine I would get some errors - not often or many but some. That was usually cured by slowing the rip speed. With the Phenom PCs I can record OTA HDTV, surf the web and rip a CD at the same time (never do it except as a test) with no errors in the TV or the CD. I tried EAC a while back since the HydrogenAudio folks claim it's the best. What I found was that with a disc with some physical errors there was LOTS of junk in the audio but the same disc ripped in Audiograbber had no quirks. Does EAC defeat error correction in the pursuit of purity? It was also MUD SLOW.

More importantly, can you reliably ABX your comparisons?

Can you do an actual file comparison byte by byte rather than checksum? The odds of the same checksum on different files is incredibly tiny but byte comparisons are absolutely exact.

Why don't you post both files, so others can compare them?

The results of an investigation into this phenomenon are likely to be published in the next issue (Vol.6 No.1 ) of HiFi Critic magazine.It's editor is Martin Colloms who is a highly respected technical writer of >20 years experience. He also has a solid engineering background.(Chartered Engineer, MIEE,
MAES.Electroacoustic Consultant and Technical Reviewer, London.)

SandyK

@ pixpop - I worry that I would infringe copyright by uploading files?

@stratus46 - I use EAC, however, I'm fairly sure that you can use your chosen software for ripping, just try it in safe mode.

I'm not set up for ABX testing, but I have done AB testing where I knew which file I was playing. Remember, there is no cost in trying it apart from your time. The sonic improvement is very noticable to me, SandyK amongst others have also noticed it. Its not something you will have to strain yourself to hear. The difference should be very apparent from the first second of listening.

Another thing of interest to me, is whether a rip done on a light version of Linux would also sound as good as XP in safemode? I will have to try this at some point...

Last edited:
Hi Sofaspud, I agree that playing the CD will sound different, no doubt.

This thread is to discuss the different sound that comes from ripping in safemode vs "normal" mode.

If I was to compare the CD to a rip, then I would be using different transports.
This would only be a comparison between my CD player and my PC/DAC, which is not the topic I wish to discuss today.

Regards,
Erin

It should be trivial to bit-compare the two files. If they are the same, the sound difference, if indeed it exists, is not due to the difference in ripping configuration.
This is much easier to check then trying to do controlled listening tests.

jan didden
Jan
At least 6 Blind A/B/A/ 3 minute listening sessions, with different listeners ,have already been performed by Martin Colloms,using his Naim Unitiserve with the downloaded files stored on a USB memory stick, but not with Erin's present .wav files.Checksums were verified as the same beforehand.
Alex

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sure, but I believe we wanted to know whether any audible differences are due to the Safe Mode ripping versus Full Mode.
If in each case the files are bit identical, then any difference is due to other factors.

Reality check: if you open say a Word or Powerpoint file in Safe Mode versus Full Mode, do the text or the illustrations look different?

jan

Reality check: if you open say a Word or Powerpoint file in Safe Mode versus Full Mode, do the text or the illustrations look different?

jan

Hi Janneman, funny that you should say that.
However a comparison between music, which is a varying, and text which is still, is not a valid comparison.

I believe a better comparison is between music and video, both are moving and varying. And yes, video looks better on my monitor when I load up fedilizer, than when I run without fedilizer. Colours are more vibrant, edges are sharper etc.

If you are not aware, fedilizer is software which shuts down windows processes in order to improve sound quality. It incidentally makes video look better. Starting up in safe mode, reduces processes even further, so for audio is one step better than using fedilizer.

However a comparison between music, which is a varying, and text which is still, is not a valid comparison.

In both cases, the files are unchanging. And that's what you're talking about. Now, if you're talking about playback of a file with fedelizer (or safe mode) versus without it, that's a different kettle of fish. But for the creation of a static, unchanging file, played back under the same conditions, if they're the same, they're the same.

In both cases, the files are unchanging. And that's what you're talking about. Now, if you're talking about playback of a file with fedelizer (or safe mode) versus without it, that's a different kettle of fish. But for the creation of a static, unchanging file, played back under the same conditions, if they're the same, they're the same.

SY, do you use windows OS? Do you use your PC for playing music?
Have you yet tried my suggestion?

I'm saying that ripping music using fedilizer, and one better, safemode, has the same sonic advantages as playing back using fedilizer, or a minimal, or reduced process operating system.

The sonic advantage of playing back music using a a minimal, or reduced process operating system is now widely accepted as sounding better than a non optimised system.

Ripping in safemode gives the same sonic advantage. Please try it and report back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.