Ripping CD's in Safemode sounds much better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of interface are you using for your optical unit ? SATA or IDE ?
Unfortunately i use my old drive that has an IDE interface, but i am looking forward into upgrading to SATA interface and hand build some silver connection cables, as another thread here suggested it would make everything sound better.
Irony off

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the checksum says the files are the same, they are the same. Period. Don't believe me? Get a hex editor, change ONE bit of a music file and compare it to the original. Check sum is now different. One part in many millions. You'd never hear it. For the kind of differences you are hearing, they would need to be much more difference than that.

I don't buy the "I can't do ABX." Get Foobar and the the ABX plugin. It's free and easy to use. Practice the ABX with two difference pieces of music to learn how it works. (Hint: A&B don't change, just X&Y). Run at lest 10 trials. After you've done that, please report back.

fc /b

If that needs explanation:

MS-DOS fc command help

If the two files are bit-for-bit identical then any differences in perceived sound are due to something other than the method by which they were created - I'm sure that others could make suggestions here.

I have to say that even "a few minutes" of my time are worth too much to me to use them following up a suggestion like this where there is no mention of this file comparison having been done - after all "It only takes a few seconds".

Wait...I can smell bitter almonds....oh no! They're coming to gold plate my ears again!

I don't buy the "I can't do ABX." Get Foobar and the the ABX plugin. It's free and easy to use. Practice the ABX with two difference pieces of music to learn how it works. (Hint: A&B don't change, just X&Y). Run at lest 10 trials. After you've done that, please report back.

Sory Pano, I use cPlay with CMP, my life is too short to waste on inferior sounding playback software like foobar. And, the difference in sound is so obvious that I don't need to do the test.

I'm now re-ripping my entire CD library in safemode.
It's not me that needs convincing. I'm already convinced.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lets take it a step further, let us assume that the PLYBACK in Safe Mode versus 'Normal Mode' introduces timing errors. Like that in Safe Mode the timing is more accurate because the OS has less to do with other apps.
This could lead to say different jitter in the final audio stream that goes to the DAC.

This could be verified by playing back one and the same audio file either in SM and in NM and listen for differences.
Possibly there's something in it, don't know.

But I am pretty sure that it doesn't make a difference in ripping - ripping is much more a function of the CD drive than the OS and any rate is heavily laced with error correction, and can easily be checked on bit-perfect identity. Its when you start to turn it into analog audio where variations can occor (and in practise do; otherwise there would be no difference between a 100$ DAC and a 10,000$ DAC, right? ;)).

jan

Lets take it a step further, let us assume that the PLYBACK in Safe Mode versus 'Normal Mode' introduces timing errors. Like that in Safe Mode the timing is more accurate because the OS has less to do with other apps.
This could lead to say different jitter in the final audio stream that goes to the DAC.

This could be verified by playing back one and the same audio file either in SM and in NM and listen for differences.
Possibly there's something in it, don't know.

But I am pretty sure that it doesn't make a difference in ripping - ripping is much more a function of the CD drive than the OS and any rate is heavily laced with error correction, and can easily be checked on bit-perfect identity. Its when you start to turn it into analog audio where variations can occor (and in practise do; otherwise there would be no difference between a 100$ DAC and a 10,000$ DAC, right? ;)).

jan

I think you have got the right idea here.
Re-writing the disc can reduce the amount of digital jitter that the CD player has to cope with. Subjectively this will have more of an audible effect on cheaper - less technically correct players that are more sensitive to jitter related effects.
I have heard of people in the past saying to burn audio CD's at a slower burn rate is a good idea. The idea of using safe mode to reduce the amount of jitter on the CD seems perfectly valid.:)

Of course all digital sound is perfect right?
And the world is flat.:rolleyes:
Regards Xoc1

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re-writing the disc can reduce the amount of digital jitter that the CD player has to cope with. Subjectively this will have more of an audible effect on cheaper - less technically correct players that are more sensitive to jitter related effects.
I have heard of people in the past saying to burn audio CD's at a slower burn rate is a good idea. The idea of using safe mode to reduce the amount of jitter on the CD seems perfectly valid.:)
[snip]

The jitter on the CD is what someone else called 'different lengths of bits/pits'. And rewriting it doesn't make a hoot of difference - some get better, some get worse. It's a stochastic process. But that's irrelevant for the replay process anyway. The important thing is that no bits are missed, and the subsequent formatting in words and frames will take care of the lengths. Also, the final impact for jitter will come from the DAC of course.
Ripping at slow speed is done to avoid lots of errors from a not-so-hot drive. With more errors, the drive has to repeatedly re-read the data to get it right which can actually lead to longer read times than with a slower read speed.
Unless there are unrecoverable errors (which will be VERY audible), the recoverable errors have no impact on the final result.

[snip]
Regards Xoc1

Before this, your post was perfectly sensible. Why did you have to put something in nobody said?
It just detracts from the believeability of your post.

jan

Last edited:

Regards Xoc1

This is a misconception, the jitter is not "on" the cd, it´s the transports output where the jitter is generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.