Ripping CD's in Safemode sounds much better... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 16th March 2012, 06:50 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Along with comparing the files to each other, has comparing them to the CD track been done? Obviously, at least one must sound different than the disc playback...

Old 16th March 2012, 07:28 AM   #12
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Sofaspud, I agree that playing the CD will sound different, no doubt.

This thread is to discuss the different sound that comes from ripping in safemode vs "normal" mode.

If I was to compare the CD to a rip, then I would be using different transports.
This would only be a comparison between my CD player and my PC/DAC, which is not the topic I wish to discuss today.

Regards,
Erin

Old 16th March 2012, 07:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

It should be trivial to bit-compare the two files. If they are the same, the sound difference, if indeed it exists, is not due to the difference in ripping configuration.
This is much easier to check then trying to do controlled listening tests.

jan didden

Old 16th March 2012, 07:57 AM   #14
sandyK is offline sandyK  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
It should be trivial to bit-compare the two files. If they are the same, the sound difference, if indeed it exists, is not due to the difference in ripping configuration.
This is much easier to check then trying to do controlled listening tests.

jan didden
Jan
At least 6 Blind A/B/A/ 3 minute listening sessions, with different listeners ,have already been performed by Martin Colloms,using his Naim Unitiserve with the downloaded files stored on a USB memory stick, but not with Erin's present .wav files.Checksums were verified as the same beforehand.
Alex

Old 16th March 2012, 08:16 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Sure, but I believe we wanted to know whether any audible differences are due to the Safe Mode ripping versus Full Mode.
If in each case the files are bit identical, then any difference is due to other factors.

Reality check: if you open say a Word or Powerpoint file in Safe Mode versus Full Mode, do the text or the illustrations look different?

jan

Old 16th March 2012, 08:24 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Reality check: if you open say a Word or Powerpoint file in Safe Mode versus Full Mode, do the text or the illustrations look different?

jan
Hi Janneman, funny that you should say that.
However a comparison between music, which is a varying, and text which is still, is not a valid comparison.

I believe a better comparison is between music and video, both are moving and varying. And yes, video looks better on my monitor when I load up fedilizer, than when I run without fedilizer. Colours are more vibrant, edges are sharper etc.

If you are not aware, fedilizer is software which shuts down windows processes in order to improve sound quality. It incidentally makes video look better. Starting up in safe mode, reduces processes even further, so for audio is one step better than using fedilizer.

Old 16th March 2012, 08:35 AM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
However a comparison between music, which is a varying, and text which is still, is not a valid comparison.
In both cases, the files are unchanging. And that's what you're talking about. Now, if you're talking about playback of a file with fedelizer (or safe mode) versus without it, that's a different kettle of fish. But for the creation of a static, unchanging file, played back under the same conditions, if they're the same, they're the same.

Old 16th March 2012, 08:56 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
In both cases, the files are unchanging. And that's what you're talking about. Now, if you're talking about playback of a file with fedelizer (or safe mode) versus without it, that's a different kettle of fish. But for the creation of a static, unchanging file, played back under the same conditions, if they're the same, they're the same.
SY, do you use windows OS? Do you use your PC for playing music?
Have you yet tried my suggestion?

I'm saying that ripping music using fedilizer, and one better, safemode, has the same sonic advantages as playing back using fedilizer, or a minimal, or reduced process operating system.

The sonic advantage of playing back music using a a minimal, or reduced process operating system is now widely accepted as sounding better than a non optimised system.

Ripping in safemode gives the same sonic advantage. Please try it and report back.

Last edited by erin; 16th March 2012 at 09:03 AM.

Old 16th March 2012, 09:22 AM   #19
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
SY, do you use windows OS? Do you use your PC for playing music?
Have you yet tried my suggestion?
7 Pro 32 bit, yes, and no, in that order. It's 4:22 am here and I doubt my wife and 11 year old would appreciate me playing music at the moment.

Old 16th March 2012, 09:38 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

No problems SY.
I hope you will give it a try at a more appropriate time.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!